Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Best way to implement Pre-Orders? 

alblue3799

Total Posts:  17

What is the best way to implement pre-orders along side of currently available items.The majority of our business is based on pre-orders. Sometimes it can be 6 months-1yr. before the payment is processed.

I can set up as two different websites, each with their own payment method, one for pre-sales where we only capture the information, and one for post-sale items where we actually charge the card at the time of the order. But then the two shopping carts will not “talk” to each other.

Or, We set it up as one site and manually process all credit cards. (that is what we are doing now. Very time consuming when it is time to charge the pre-orders.)

Or, We set up one website with two stores. One Pre and one Post. Shopping cards talk to each other and I have set up the pre-sales as backorders.

One thread suggested using Google Checkout, since it will let you do partial payments. Wouldn’t setting our payment to capture the card also allow this if we only invoice certain items at time of order, and then invoice the others when they become available? Or does it not work that way? We would like to implement Paypal across the board, since we can use their virtual terminal as needed also.

I need advise on the best method to make this work. Ideally we would like to have payment for the currently available items (post-sale items) processed when the order is placed and payment for the pre-ordered items made with they become in-stock.

The pre-order extension on Magento Connnect will not work because it only charges once.

We really don’t want to do the two separate sites because then we loose the cross and up-sell potential.

THanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

FMEExtensions
Mentor

Total Posts:  1298

So basically you would to have Magento Partial Payments done and book a product and pay the rest when it is released. This may be possible with Layaway Payments.

Go through the details and see if this would be a possibility. We can customise it for you if needed as well to cater to a more specific requirement.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Our Pre-Orders extension allows selling pre-sale products and enable customers to pay for them at the moment of placing pre-order (just like payment for any other regular products).
Please visit our extension page at http://www.aitoc.com/en/magentomods_pre_order.html?utm_source=Magento+Forum&utm;_medium=How+do+I?+Questions&utm;_campaign=Mi for more details on extension features. Extension demo details can be found at demo tab.

Magento Community
Magento Community

irvingbanks

Total Posts:  7

Hello alblue3799,

I don\’t know its a perfect solution or not for you but I have found this Partial Payment extension which can fulfill your requirement.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community