Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Configurable Products Help

kevinrys

Total Posts:  18

So I\’ve been reading for the past two weeks about magento\’s attribute manager and configurable products, and I\’ve been amazed, confused, and a bit overwhelmed all in one, so I\’m hoping someone here can point me to exactly what I need to do to get my products up and running the right way.

The site i\’m building sells a wide variety of clothes, from t-shirts, pants, underwear, bikinis, sweatshirts, jackets, accessories, and more.  What I\’m trying to figure is out is what attribute sets I have to create, and how much work this is really going to be.

All of our Men\’s T-Shirts come in 4 sizes, M, L, XL, and XXL.  We charge +$2 for XXL shirts.  However, most shirts come in 2-3 colors and are not uniform.  Some may be black and white, other green, blue and brown.  I know I need to create a new simple product for each color variation, but do I have to make one for each size as well? or can i configure that through the configurable product or attribute set. 

Our Women\’s T-Shirts are basically the same.  All come in the same sizes (s, m, l, xl) but come in different colors.  No price changes.

All of our hat\’s come in the same sizes as well, but each is a single product with only 1 color variation.

I know I can take care of some of the other items through simple products with custom fields if neccessary, but I\’m trying to make sure the site can be searched by color and show only that color version of the product, which is one of the great magento features. For example this valentines day we have 20% off all red and pink items.  Now to set the promotion do i need to select every product attribute set and item that is red or pink? Can I just create a pink attribute to use as an exception for the promotion?

What do i have to create in terms of attribute sets?  Do i have to make a “Pink Girl’s T-Shirt” and a “Red Girl’s T-Shirt” and a “Blue Men’s T-Shirt” which somehow also have the sizes configurable?  I’m just lost and don’t want to go off in the wrong direction.

I\’m just overwhelmed by the idea of adding a different attribute set for each shirt and need help to try and expedite the adding of some 200 products with 2-3 color variations each.  My original plan is to create one item from each category, download as a csv and copy from our price list.  Doable?  Anyone have such a csv i could build off of?

Someone please help me figure out this magento attribute mess, because other than that, its exactly what I\’ve been looking for.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

kevinrys

Anyone?  Really need to get this new site up as current one is causing all types of problems.  Help would be really appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

Hi, Everything you wrote make sense and achievable with the Magento.  I thin you need to set up a demo store, create several products and decide what option fits you needs best.  Note, that custom options does not have inventory control, but configurable products does.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kevinrys

I hope it made sense, but I’m still confused.  What exactly do I have to make in the attribute manager to make this work?  Step by step if possible.  Then when adding a product, exactly how and with what attributes.  I’m brand new to magento and trying to figure out this system.  I’m good with design, but this is killing me.

Inventory management is not an issue, I’m just trying to get the most out of magento, and not short-cutting the process and having to go back later to get what I really want.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

For configurable products:  create simple products for all sizes/colors variations.  It is the most complicated but the most flexible way to handle inventory, create promotions, add additional cost.  For the step-by-step manual consider magento user guide and wiki.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kevinrys

So I created my simple products, one for each size/color so there is a simple product for:

Shirt #1 Blue Small
Shirt #1 Blue Medium
Shirt #1 Black Small
Shirt #1 Black Medium
etc.

But when I’m creating a promotion so all items with attribute “Shirt Color” “Blue” are 20% off, it only applies to my simple products in searches.  I need it to work so if I select “Blue” from the “Shirt Color” dropdown in the configurable product detail page it discounts the item 20%, whether in the cart or in the catalog.  Ive tried both promotion options with selected attributes but to no avail and have searched the community.

Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community