Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

make a system attribute normal so it’s not a system one anymore

soy_de_madrid

Total Posts:  51

hi i’d like to remove some attributes from the attribute sets they’re in but magento won’t allow me to as it says they are “system attributes”. how can i set them to not be system attributes? i’ve tried for example with the “weight” attribute, i’ve clicked on the drop down to make it “not required” but this still shows as a system attribute…

please help

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mostwanted76

Total Posts:  17

can anybody tell me why for example “weight” is a mandatory attribute? there are so many products where there is absolute no use for the attribute “weight”....

...but as “weight” is a system attribute it has to be filled out for every poduct i guess?

probably i misunderstood some of the concepts of magento - please let me know if so. thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AndyM

Total Posts:  23

It is possible to set the weight attribute to not required so you don’t have to fill it out (We are using flat rate shipping so not important to us at the moment).

I’m not sure if this has any negative impact towards the shipping modules and checkout process, perhaps somebody from Varien can confirm this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

demonkoryu
Guru

Total Posts:  328
Dortmund, Germany

What worked for me is to set the attribute to non-required in the admin and also edit app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/etc/config.xml and change

<weight><external>1</external><required>1</required></weight>

to

<weight><external>1</external><required>0</required></weight>

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community