Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Upgrade from 1.4.2.0 to 1.5.x

Eric Cavalcanti
Guru

Total Posts:  710
San Antonio

Well, I uploaded to 1.4.2.1 and Magento Connect was updated.

Now I try to upload to 1.5.0. and I get this:

Checking dependencies of packages
Package community
/Lib_Js_Calendar failedVersion for 'Lib_Js_Calendar' was not detected
Package community
/Lib_Js_Calendar failedVersion for 'Lib_Js_Calendar' was not detected
Package community
/Find_Feed failedVersion for 'Find_Feed' was not detected
Already installed
community/Mage_All_Latest 1.5.0.1skipping
Already installed
community/Interface_Adminhtml_Default 1.5.0.0skipping
Already installed
community/Interface_Frontend_Default 1.5.0.0skipping
Already installed
community/Interface_Install_Default 1.5.0.0skipping
Already installed
community/Mage_Downloader 1.5.0.0skipping
Already installed
community/Mage_Centinel 1.5.0.0skipping
Already installed
community/Interface_Frontend_Base_Default 1.5.0.0skipping
Already installed
community/Phoenix_Moneybookers 1.2.4skipping
Already installed
community/Magento_Mobile 1.5.0.0.16skipping
Already installed
community/Mage_Core_Adminhtml 1.5.0.0skipping
Already installed
community/Lib_Js_Ext 1.5.0.0skipping
Already installed
community/Lib_LinLibertineFont 2.8.14.0skipping
Already installed
community/Lib_Js_TinyMCE 3.3.7.0skipping
Already installed
community/Lib_Js_Prototype 1.6.0.3.4skipping

CONNECT ERROR
Package 'Mage_Compiler' is invalid
'./app/code/core/Mage/Compiler/Block/Process.php' already exists
Package community
/Mage_Core_Modules 1.5.0.1 conflicts withcommunity/Find_Feed 1.0.7
Package community
/Lib_Varien 1.5.0.0 conflicts withcommunity/Mage_Core_Modules 1.4.2.0
Package community
/Lib_Google_Checkout 1.5.0.0 conflicts withcommunity/Mage_Core_Modules 1.4.2.0
Package community
/Lib_Js_Mage 1.5.0.0 conflicts withcommunity/Mage_Core_Modules 1.4.2.0
Package community
/Lib_Phpseclib 1.5.0.0 conflicts withcommunity/Mage_Core_Modules 1.4.2.0
Package community
/Mage_Locale_en_US 1.5.0.0 conflicts withcommunity/Mage_Core_Modules 1.4.2.0
Package community
/Lib_Mage 1.5.0.0 conflicts withcommunity/Mage_Core_Modules 1.4.2.0
Package community
/Lib_ZF 1.11.1.0 conflicts withcommunity/Lib_Varien 1.4.2.0
Package community
/Lib_ZF_Locale 1.11.1.0 conflicts withcommunity/Lib_ZF 1.10.8.0

Even if I try to update just one thing, I will get some conflict.
Who else is getting this?

I am using this to update:
http://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community/Mage_All_Latest

Or checking each one.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

dankoz

Total Posts:  20

same issue, no idea what is going on

Magento Community
Magento Community

Template fans
Guru

Total Posts:  446

We have the same issue. Can someone resolve this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eric Cavalcanti
Guru

Total Posts:  710
San Antonio

Somone else helped me:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/219632/#t300429

Using SSH:

./mage channel-add connect20.magentocommerce.com/community 
./mage channel-add connect20.magentocommerce.com/core
./mage sync
./mage upgrade-all --force

Magento Community
Magento Community

radge

Total Posts:  40

I have the same problem i\’m trying with your answer , but doesn\’t works to me

XXXXX@r12345 ~/www $ ./pear channel-add connect20.magentocommerce.com/community
channel-add: cannot open \"connect20.magentocommerce.com/community\"

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

Total Posts:  114

The magento 1.5.x upgrade is retarded.  Via magento connect it was telling me no updates are available.  then I manually updated the downloader to 1.5.0.0 and then tried to update via MC again but then I got all sorts of errors if you want to know the grizzly details see my posts here:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/219673/
or here
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/219742/

Anyway as of right now it doesn’t seem to work via MC.  I upgraded my copy manually by extracting a copy of 1.5.0.1 on top of my current site.  That would take forever via FTP, so use SSH:
you can upload a copy of magento to the site via ftp or quicker and easier just use wget command:
navigate to the root of your website (i.e.: www or public_html)

wget http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/1.5.0.1/magento-1.5.0.1.tar.gz
Then extract it:
tar -zxvf magento-1.5.0.1.tar.gz
Now you are done if you have magento in a folder called magento.  If you do not have your magento site in a folder called magento (i.e: on the root of your website like i do) then you have to do a little bit more.  Do this this to move the freshly extracted files to the correct directory (please replace ‘/home/pathYourPathMageIsIn/public_html’ with the location of your magento index.php):
cd magento
cp 
-rf * /home/pathYourPathMageIsIn/public_html
Depending on your build of linux (centos, FC, etc which use an alias for cp). you may need to disable the alias on the cp command first.  To do so type this command before using the above cp command:
unalias cp
then do the above mentioned copy command to get the files in the correct directory.  You can use the move command instead but this was how i went about it.  now to delete the unneeded copy do this:
cd ../
rm -rf magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

OK NOW DON’T FREAK OUT IF YOU TRIED TO ACCESS YOUR SITE AND GOT AN ERROR 500.  This is due to permissions.  Follow my lead here and you will be up and running on 1.5.0.1 in a matter of seconds (not counting the time it will take you to read through my long winded-ness):
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/220253/

Magento Community
Magento Community

radge

Total Posts:  40

CajuCLC - 12 February 2011 12:35 PM

Somone else helped me:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/219632/#t300429

Using SSH:

./mage channel-add connect20.magentocommerce.com/community 
./mage channel-add connect20.magentocommerce.com/core
./mage sync
./mage upgrade-all --force

Trying this i receive this error

user@r12345 ~/www $ ./mage channel-add connect20.magentocommerce.com/community
<b>Parse error</b>:  syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or ‘}’ in <b>/home/tuser/www/downloader/mage.php</b> on line <b>34</b><br />

THxs, radge

Magento Community
Magento Community

delucai7

Total Posts:  5

veracious - 16 February 2011 02:24 AM

OK NOW DON’T FREAK OUT IF YOU TRIED TO ACCESS YOUR SITE AND GOT AN ERROR 500.  This is due to permissions.  Follow my lead here and you will be up and running on 1.5.0.1 in a matter of seconds (not counting the time it will take you to read through my long winded-ness):
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/220253/

Are you saying we can just extract the new Magento over our existing site?

Thanks for you help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

Radge Let me guess crucial gave you those instructions?  He told me to clear my downloader folder too which would delete everything out of Magento Connect.  Not sure what your output means since it looks like html tags at your command prompt, wtf?!?  You have a funny perception of someone helping you lol.  If nothing else restore from the backup you should have made before starting the upgrade process and then follow my instructions above. 

@delucai7 Yes that is what my windy instructions do (the ones above the post you quoted).  The post you quoted fixes the ownership issues.  You will not have the error 500 issue if your ssh user is also your apache user and therefore will not need to follow those instructions you quoted.

I have only been with magento since v 1.4.1.1 so I have not seen any changes to the DB.  I have been trying to research weather updating magento via MC, or SSH will change the database structure.  I can’t image they do but so far I haven’t seen any problems.  In my searches for an answer to this question I got a reply fromuser nohbdy:

as far as I know, any changes to the DB will be done automatically when you first access the DB in the upgraded magento install. When we went from 1.4.0.1 -> 1.4.1.1 this was the case (that was the version change w/ the switch to flat tables instead of EAV for the sales DB structure--a fairly major change in the DB structure). When we merged our 1.4.0.1 DB w/ the 1.4.1.1 magento install, all of the changes were automatically made w/o harming any of the data (at least in that upgrade… can’t speak to 1.4.2 or 1.5.x).

If anyone knows anything about the database getting updated please advise!

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

OK I learn more every day.  Indeed the database gets updated when you first try to access the admin after updating.  It does this via PHP. 
For example: mysql4-upgrade-0.0.1-0.0.2.php

So my manual upgrade method is safe as described above.  You update the files by dumping the new mage build ontop of your site (see post above) and then when you try to access the admin it updates the DB!

Now that we got that solved, I have one more question pertaining to upgrades:
Do you need to apply all the offical releases between the latest version? 

I would say no.  I have been able to upgrade straight to 1.5.0.1 bypassing 1.4.1.1 and 1.4.2.0 without issue for example.  Also via MC when you use the update all command it goes straight to the latest version avilable.  I know the file structure is handled properly this way, not 100% on the DB.  Any input?  I think it is OK but I am still a mage newb!

If you need hard proof that the DB is indeed updated when first accessing the admin, just pay attention to how long it takes to access admin login screen the first time.  Beyond that I got an error durring this process which also clued me in on what I already suspected:

There has been an error processing your requestError in file"/home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/sql/catalog_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.4.0.0.36-1.4.0.0.37.php" SQLSTATE[HY000]General error1025 Error on rename of './bitscom_solonomi/catalog_product_entity_varchar' to './bitscom_solonomi/#sql2-bfa-af3bd' (errno152)
Trace:
#0 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(390): Mage::exception('Mage_Core', 'Error in file: ...')
#1 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(289): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb('upgrade', '1.4.0.0.36', '1.4.0.0.38')
#2 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(233): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb('1.4.0.0.36', '1.4.0.0.38')
#3 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(161): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(363): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(295): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/Mage.php(596): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /home/bitscom/public_html/index.php(80): Mage::run('', 'store')
#8 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonazu

Total Posts:  33
Switzerland

Thanks for this tipp veracious. I just uploaded the whole bunch of 1.5.0.1 files as you told and it seems to work well.

Oh boy did I waste time by trying to upgrade with MCM…

Another problem I solved with MCM: Use always FTP!

Jonas

Magento Community
Magento Community

Netismine

Total Posts:  174

Ok, so far there seems to be no way of successfully updating Magento through Magento connect.
http://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community Mage_All_Latest returns “already installed” for it’s packages, and the version in admin stays the old one.

Varien?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Netismine

Total Posts:  174

OK, I managed to update using shell.

First of all, open file “mage” in your installation root, and enter your php location:

# REPLACE with your PHP5 binary path (example: /usr/local/php5/bin/php )
MAGE_PHP_BIN="/opt/lampp/bin/php"

then execute

./mage install http://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community Mage_All_Latest --force

Magento Community
Magento Community

unexpectedly

Total Posts:  68

jonazu - 03 March 2011 06:08 PM

Thanks for this tipp veracious. I just uploaded the whole bunch of 1.5.0.1 files as you told and it seems to work well.

FYI, I just made attempt to update 1.4.2 to 1.5.0.1 by this method and it did not work. The entire site broke, leaving error pages everywhere. Thankfully, I’m doing all of my testing on a dev server. I’m going to do a restore of 1.4.2 and try MCM again from my most recent live site image.

It looks like my path to upgrade is going to be as follows:
» start with empty website folder
» restore 1.4.2 mysql database
» un-tar magento 1.5.0.1 into this folder
» visit the site admin to update the database
» begin applying theme and extension patches

I suggest that no-one apply the ftp update to their live site without immediate ability to restore from backups…

Magento Community
Magento Community

rwired

Total Posts:  4

\"Netismine\" -

OK, I managed to update using shell.

First of all, open file \"mage\" in your installation root, and enter your php location:

# REPLACE with your PHP5 binary path (example: /usr/local/php5/bin/php )
MAGE_PHP_BIN=\"/opt/lampp/bin/php\"

then execute

./mage install http://connect20.magentocommerce.com/community Mage_All_Latest --force

Was having the exact same problem, tried several of the other solutions but none worked. This was the one that worked for me.
Note my php5 path was /usr/local/php5/bin/php (GoDaddy). This is important since the CLI php on GoDaddy is 4.4.9 but is 5.2.14 via Apache.

I also needed to copy the base wishlist.xml to my custom template as discussed in another thread.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2