Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

upgrade from 1.3.2.4 to 1.5

bkscott

Total Posts:  137
Sacramento

Hello,
Within the next 6 months or so i plan to upgrade my magento install. I’m trying to get an estimate on how much trouble this is going to be. I’m not asking for an exact list of troubles to come, but just a general idea.

My install has been heavily modified. We’ve changed all sorts of stuff. I’ll list some so you guys get an idea.

*layered nav (changed it to exclude out of stock products from both the product list AND the product counts next to the filters)
*search functionality (added some spell checking & correcting + other tidbits to help users get more accurate results)
*installed like 10+ extensions, including the onestepcheckout, layered nav pro, review reminders, mailchimp integration, etc
**every one of those extensions were modified, and several of them were “linked” together. for example, i made the review reminders extension utilize the mailchimp extensions code so that our review reminders are automatically sent out via mail chimp.
*practically every template file has been modified.
*ive got about a dozen highly custom product export scripts setup to generate feeds for various sites.
*i’ve got several product import scripts that do most of the work for us when it comes to building products.
*there are a couple scripts that run daily to update prices/sales based on certain criteria.

This is just what i can think of off of the top of my head. My guess is that i’m basically going to have to rebuild almost all of this stuff from scratch. My hope is that some of this stuff can be copied over without any hassle.

so what do you guys think? im i going to be buried in work or what?

thanks,
scott

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

silverpenhouse

Total Posts:  72
Virginia

Yes, you have a long road ahead of you but can definitely be done.

Here is likely your best strategy:

1) Install clean version
2) Import your database (customers, orders, products, etc)
3) Install your themes
4) Install your extensions one at a time, making sure that each one works
5) Apply your customizations to make sure that your modules work together.

I would recommend you start getting familiar with the process on a development server. Do it a few times until you’ve figured out all the issues and your comfortable in making the transition on the production site.

Based on your descriptions and without actually seeing the degree of customization; I would put aside 20 to 60 hours to get everything up and running on a new version of magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itchytrig

Total Posts:  162
UK

Hi,

As a follow up to @Silverpenhouse:

you say:

1) Install clean version
2) Import your database (customers, orders, products, etc)
3) Install your themes
4) Install your extensions one at a time, making sure that each one works
5) Apply your customizations to make sure that your modules work together.

ref…

2) Import your database - Would you say an entire dump of your old 1.3.x database including the known/hidden tables created by previous extensions? Or just a few tables… customers, orders, reports, reviews, products… (any more? just how extensive do we need to go?)
- Having tried this with a full dump, a lot of errors in various parts of admin occur, stopping you access to parts.

Cherry picking the data you need out of your mysql seems tricky! Any tips, for doing this, a 250mb .sql file is not easy to load, let alone edit on a Windows PC!

many thanks…

Magento Community
Magento Community

silverpenhouse

Total Posts:  72
Virginia

In my experience, dump the whole database (even tables that were created by extensions).

The key is to dump your old database into a new one and when making the fresh install, use that new database with all your old data. When magento is installing it will upgrade all the necessary tables.

For more detailed instructions, see Karen’s post here:

http://www.webshopapps.com/blog/2010/08/upgrading-your-magento-site-without-downtime/

Also, what kind of errors are you seeing

Magento Community
Magento Community

stumpy_osfc

Total Posts:  2

Hi Guys,

I currently have a database for a site built for magento 1.3.2.4, but something wet wrong so i thought, using the info you guys have provided, that i would just start with 1.5 and load the DB on to that.

When i tried to add the sql data to my new DB i recieve the error below

SQL query:

-- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
-- version 2.8.2.4
-- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
--
-- Host: localhost:3306
-- Generation Time: Jul 20, 2011 at 02:44 PM
-- Server version: 5.0.77
-- PHP Version: 5.2.6
--
-- Database: `CrystalsDB_magento`
--
-- --------------------------------------------------------
--
-- Table structure for table `admin_assert`
--
CREATE TABLE `admin_assert` (
`assert_id` int( 10 ) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
`assert_type` varchar( 20 ) NOT NULL default ‘’,
`assert_data` text,
PRIMARY KEY ( `assert_id` )
) ENGINE = InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET = utf8 COMMENT = ‘ACL Asserts’ AUTO_INCREMENT =1;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1050 - Table ‘admin_assert’ already exists

If anyone could help that would be great

thanks

Stumpy

Magento Community
Magento Community

shoptoylife

Total Posts:  58

We had our hosting service do the upgrade to the dev site....now they bailed on us and we’re left trying to figure out how to either upgrade the live store or (somehow) move the dev files to the live site.

Would it be better to have 2 magento installs running on the live site, so “www.store.com” and “www.store1.com” then when store1 is running smoothly just adjust what’s needed so that store1 becomes the regular store view?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community