Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Google Base Data API Depreciated (in June ‘11)

RoadNarrows

Total Posts:  4

Just curious if the Magento developers are aware and working on replacing the Google Base API.  A few searches turned up nothing.  The newer, longer timeout in 1.5.0.0 will be nice.

Note: The Google Base Data API will be fully retired on June 1, 2011. Therefore, we encourage you to move to the new Content and Search APIs for Shopping. For more information, see the Google Base Data API Deprecation FAQ and Migrating to the Content and Search APIs for Shopping. You can learn more about new Content and Search APIs for Shopping in our announcement on our blog.

P.S.  It’s a bit amusing that Magento’s spell checker doesn’t like the word ‘Magento’.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MattBlalock

Total Posts:  20

I’m anxious to hear about this as well, but I think we’re in the wrong category to find out. I bet it gets deprecated from Magento altogether and pushed to an extension. It’s an ideal product for the extension market.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hilrap

Total Posts:  25

Just received a similar mail from google and can’t find any resources for an upgrade of the magento google base extension.

Thank you for participating in Google Shopping. According to our records, you’re currently using the Google Base Data API to submit your product listings to Google Product Search. On December 17, 2010, we announced the retirement of the Google Base Data API and transition to the new Google Content API for Shopping (http://googlemerchantblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-shopping-apis-and-deprecation-of.html).

Starting from June 1st, 2011, it will no longer be possible to submit content using the Google Base Data API. In order for you items to continue appearing in Google Product Search results without interruption, we encourage you to start transitioning to the new Content API as soon as possible.

...I’m using Magento 1.4.0.1.

Any potential upgrades available?

Regards,
hilrap

Magento Community
Magento Community

rewind

Total Posts:  7

Uh-oh. First I’d heard of this today too, by the same email. 
Not much of advance notice, June 2011!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Oriental Food Shop

Total Posts:  11

Received the same message today.  I guess we are going to have to post to the forum in the hope that Magento developers (a) read it and (b) develop a new solution.
I’m not holding my breath though…
I for one would like to see Google base / shopping integration that doesn’t time out / fall over with more than 50 records and doesn’t take all afternoon to run. Maybe that is fixed in the new API?

Magento Community
Magento Community

BlackNinja

Total Posts:  42

I was just doing a search about this having received an email from google.  I hope there will be some solution, or even an extension available.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jonathan123

Total Posts:  215

I submitted this as a defect/bug: http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=11097

Magento Community
Magento Community

airban

Total Posts:  34

This is a huge concern for our shop running 1.3.2.4.

I hope there will be a fix instead of a forced upgrade.

Magento Community
Magento Community

firstvapor

Total Posts:  12

Same email here.  We use Magento 1.4.2 with the built in Base integration.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rewind

Total Posts:  7

Just a thought, given that their new “Magento go” hosted service boasts “Google base integration” on their features, I imagine this will be super high priority for them to get on stream by June.

Hope one of the Magento team can announce their intention soon at least, otherwise I might have to *gasp* start thinking how I might write it myself using the magento API if it’s possible. I’d rather not have to, though smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

crzylx

Total Posts:  21

This is a major issue for us as well, hope Magento addresses this or someone develops and extension that addresses this…

Magento Community
Magento Community

firstvapor

I saw your bug report, as well as someone else submitting the same thing.  In typical Magento fashion, both have been closed with the standard “thanks for contributing” message, with no information on if it’s going to be addressed or if we’re left hanging in the wind.

I love Magento, but sometimes really question my decision to migrate from Zen.

Jonathan123 - 14 March 2011 10:52 AM

I submitted this as a defect/bug: http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue?issue=11097

Magento Community
Magento Community

BlackNinja

Total Posts:  42

More info:  This email just came through.  Does anyone care enough just to give an answer?  Or do we all have to end up on freelancer sites?  Surely someone has information???

Hello,

Thank you for participating in Google Product Search.  We are reaching out to you to inform you about important changes we’re making to our Product Search attribute requirements for unique identifiers and tax and shipping information.

Starting May 3rd, 2011, we’ll require your product listings to include at least two of the three unique identifiers (Brand, MPN, GTIN). In order to provide as much information as possible to our users, we need your help in matching your products to our “product pages”, where users are able to view useful data such as product specifications or reviews. While these attributes will not be required for your data feed to process correctly, they may prevent your items from appearing in Product Search results if not included. For more details, including what specific identifiers you should include for each category of item, please see our Help Center at http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/answer.py?answer=160161

Starting June 6th, 2011, we’ll also require your product listings to include tax and shipping information to provide buyers with important price information. This information will be required at either the account or item level (in the “tax” or “shipping” attribute) in order for your items to process and appear in Google Product Search results. For instructions on how to include tax and shipping information, please visit http://www.google.com/support/merchants/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer;=160162

Please update your account settings or data feeds as soon as possible to ensure that you are complying with these new requirements by the dates specified above.  For more information about these changes, please visit our Google Merchant blog at http://googlemerchantblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/changes-for-google-product-search.html

Sincerely,

The Google Product Search Team

© 2011 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important changes to your Google Merchant Center product or account.

Magento Community
Magento Community

r111

Total Posts:  21

This is my most urgent issue with Magento - hope a developer would respond.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elfling
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  901

Forget the google api built into magento.

With a quick bit of reading, you’ll be soon able to get the external api working that you can do via cron.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/9401/P495/

I’ll also update it to give an MPN number. Since none of our stuff has barcodes, I think I maybe a bit sneaky and create a random number generator for each product for the EAN. Especially since an EAN isn’t specific per product in the world so any product could have a randomly generated EAN like a lottery number.

Magento Community
Magento Community

firstvapor

For those still looking, here is a forum post that worked for me.  It’s rather long, but the outcome is perfect.  I used the files in the post to create the export, setup a cron job to run the php regularly, and setup google base to fetch it regularly.  It’s been running for a couple weeks flawlessly. 

Since the Magento team seems to not be responsive to this critical piece, your best bet is to export the feed outside of the Magento API.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/9401/

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4