Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to Upgrade Magento from 1.4.2 to 1.5.0 ? 

krlkv

Total Posts:  42

Brent W Peterson - 15 February 2011 08:12 AM

@krlkv:: Thanks for the link, that was helpful, however since every install is unique, many users are going to run into unique problems with their upgrades.

The WIKI is designed for the community to produce helpful guidelines and the majority of WIKI articles are created by regular community users.

@Brent W Peterson

Wiki articles should be produced by the community, although some involvement by Magento team would be very welcome, but currently almost non-existent.

Also the absence of regular detailed official upgrade documentation (a basic thing) speaks for itself.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

Total Posts:  114

Darsh - 15 February 2011 01:12 PM

Dose any one know if we able to upgrade to 1.5.0 using Magneto Connect Manager. When I click check for upgrades the only options I get is reinstall and uninstall.

or we have to do a manual upgrade (update files individually ?

It seems as if MC doesn’t want to play with 1.5.0.1. 
Via magento connect it was telling me no updates are available.  then I manually updated the downloader to 1.5.0.0 and then tried to update via MC again but then I got all sorts of errors if you want to know the grizzly details see my posts here:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/219673/
or here
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/219742/

Not a big deal there are a number of was to upgrade:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/installing_magento_via_shell_ssh#installing_magento_with_the_full_download
or this:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/upgrading_magento_via_ssh
or follow my instructions below:

Anyway as of right now it doesn’t seem to work via MC.  I upgraded my copy manually by extracting a copy of 1.5.0.1 on top of my current site.  That would take forever via FTP, so use SSH:
you can upload a copy of magento to the site via ftp or quicker and easier just use wget command:
navigate to the root of your website (i.e.: www or public_html)

wget http://www.magentocommerce.com/downloads/assets/1.5.0.1/magento-1.5.0.1.tar.gz
Then extract it:
tar -zxvf magento-1.5.0.1.tar.gz
Now you are done if you have magento in a folder called magento.  If you do not have your magento site in a folder called magento (i.e: on the root of your website like i do) then you have to do a little bit more.  Do this this to move the freshly extracted files to the correct directory (please replace ‘/home/pathYourPathMageIsIn/public_html’ with the location of your magento index.php):
cd magento
cp 
-rf * /home/pathYourPathMageIsIn/public_html
Depending on your build of linux (centos, FC, etc which use an alias for cp). you may need to disable the alias on the cp command first.  To do so type this command before using the above cp command:
unalias cp
then do the above mentioned copy command to get the files in the correct directory.  You can use the move command instead but this was how i went about it.  now to delete the unneeded copy do this:
cd ../
rm -rf magento
rm magento
-1.5.0.1.tar.gz

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

OK so you followed my instructions in the post above to manually update:
NOW DON’T FREAK OUT IF YOU TRIED TO ACCESS YOUR SITE AND GOT AN ERROR 500.  This is due to permissions.  Follow my lead here and you will be up and running on 1.5.0.1 in a matter of seconds (not counting the time it will take you to read through my long winded-ness):
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/220253/

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

Wiki articles should be produced by the community, although some involvement by Magento team would be very welcome, but currently almost non-existent.

Also the absence of regular detailed official upgrade documentation (a basic thing) speaks for itself.

@Krlkv
Why don’t you take your whiny butt back to Multiplex Systems and sell some more of that over priced garbage on that joke of a magento site you got there.  I don’t see you helping the community.  Mage devs are busy fixing bugs and updating the code.  What are you doing you self-centered tool.

@Brent W Peterson
OpenERP -> Magento -> OpenBravo POS

Integrating any ERP with Magento sounds sexy!  Good luck and ignore the haters.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikonratm

Total Posts:  84

Appreciate the SSH fix but what about those of us who don\’t have SSH access to our servers? The FTP method is brutal and unreliable…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darsh

Total Posts:  71

[quote author="veracious" date="1297875868"

@Krlkv
Why don’t you take your whiny butt back to Multiplex Systems and sell some more of that over priced garbage on that joke of a magento site you got there.  I don’t see you helping the community.  Mage devs are busy fixing bugs and updating the code.  What are you doing you self-centered tool.

Rolf - That was hilarious.

Magento Community
Magento Community

krlkv

veracious - 16 February 2011 03:04 AM

@Krlkv

I’m glad that you believe your comments bring more value than mine.  I am also sure you’ve reviewed all Magento wiki pages to check for my contributions there.  Your comments about the store are invaluable.

I do hope that Magento devs are busy fixing bugs and updating the code, but that’s usually done before stable version is released in case you didn’t know.

I suggest you go through this thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/214256/P0/ and call all participants “whiny butts” to add some value to the conversation, otherwise your flaming contribution to the community is not complete.

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

Nikonratm, I would say find another host.  Magento is too large a beast not to have SSH access.  Who is your host?  I have been testing VPS’s as well as Amazon AWS the last few weeks testing their performance with magento.  I probably know of a few hosts that are faster and better suited for Magento while staying in your price range.  You shouldn’t have any problem with FTP accept that will take hours for it to finish.  Plus if your FTP user isn’t the same user that apache runs under then you will need to change the permissions which will be another couple of hours to do via FTP.  It would take you less time to move to a new host than to update Magento via FTP.

Krlkv: How were your comments helpful?  All you have done is complain on this thread.  Nobody likes a whiner.  Instead of telling people how and who should update the wiki why don’t you get over there instead of filling this thread full of useless blather trying to incite a flamewar.  Oh right because by the look of your site you have nothing worth contributing but your mindless dribble.  I am working on my FIRST Magento site and it looks better than yours: WhatsThatItsBetterThanYours
Lastly I already saw that thread.  You should go join them.  Seems like you would fit right in.  Personally I am not one for documentation, appreciate the free product and did my homework before I started using Magento and actual enjoy a challenge.

Magento Community
Magento Community

krlkv

@veracious

Once again I am happy about your design skills & your ability to make such cool web sites selling cool things and not “over priced garbage”.  I do understand that for some schoolkids like you, design is the most important thing in an ecommerce project & everybody deploying magento absolutely must build customs themes disregarding their needs. 

I let your mojo grow further, as I see that the notion of criticism is unknown to you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

krlkv

@veracious

Once again I am happy about your design skills & your ability to make such cool web sites selling cool things and not “over priced garbage”.  I do understand that for some schoolkids like you, design is the most important thing in an ecommerce project & everybody deploying magento absolutely must build customs themes disregarding their needs. 

I let your mojo grow further, as I see that the notions of irony & criticism are unknown to you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich1000

Total Posts:  91

Ok...so hopefully I can interrupt this argument.

This guide seemed to work really well. I wasn’t getting anywhere with using Magento Connect. It didn’t seem to give me a list of all the packages it’s supposed to have for the core. And I could never get it to show anything other than 1.4.1 in my admin. Tried it from the shell and using the wget/tar command line.

Anyways, thanks....it seems.

BUT, how is it this method can be used to upgrade, when they want you to use pear or magento connect? I mean, your method seems to work nicely. Why would anyone use the pear upgrader from command line? Am I missing something? Are there any downsides to this method?

Just seems TOO easy, considering I spent a lot of time trying to get the pear and magento connect to work, and usually doing anything related to upgrading/moving magento sites, usually results in things breaking. So far, it looks alright.

Lastly, I assume changes have happened to the database structure jumping from 1.4 to 1.5. How does magento adjust the database to accommodate upgraded software (for this method, or any method for that matter)?

Thanks....

rich

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

Flame on!  LOL jk, I already planned on not replying to him anymore.  He will just bloat this thread even worse and make it harder for people to solve their problems. 

Rich1k thanks for saying it seems too easy!  Magento Connect is definitely not working for 1.5.0.1.  I can help you do it via the pear method if you would like but I don’t believe that is necessary. I am a magento newb and I am not an expert with pear.  I know pear has the ability to modify a database.  MC is just a simple UI for the user which in turn uses pear to do the actual work.  I have asked around till i was blue in the face.  Supposedly the database gets edited when you login and out of the admin (which is why some extensions require you to do so in order to see its effects).  Personally I think pear would just update the database directly.  I have contacted the mage dev team on this matter and am awaiting their reply.  I will relay the definitive answer here if I ever hear back from them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

Your database upgrades are going to happen the first time you login to Admin. It doesn’t matter if you use Connect, PEAR or just FTP the files to the server.

Hope that helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rich1000

Total Posts:  91

Thanks to both of you for confirming this. I had issues upgrading and moving sites in the past. This finally seemed to be really much easier. Now it’s just a matter of looking back over all my custom templates and any add-on modules to make sure they still work.

Rich

Magento Community
Magento Community

veracious

Thank you Brent for clarifying.  I already discovered that after doing a few 1.5.0.1 upgrades and stated this on other upgrade threads on the forum and external forums.  I forgot about this one.  Once again thanks for the reply.  If you end up reading this reply, do you have any clue why I was getting this error while it was updating the db to 1.5.0.1?  I see it is for the feed.  I just bypassed that part of the upgrade…

Error in file"/home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/community/Find/Feed/sql/find_feed_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.0.1-0.0.2.php" SQLSTATE[23000]Integrity constraint violation1062 Duplicate entry '69-General' for key 2

Error in file
"/home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Sales/sql/sales_setup/mysql4-upgrade-1.4.0.2-1.4.0.3.php" SQLSTATE[HY000]General error2006 MySQL server has gone away
Trace
:
#0 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(390): Mage::exception('Mage_Core', 'Error in file: ...')
#1 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(289): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb('upgrade', '0.9.56', '1.4.0.25')
#2 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(233): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb('0.9.56', '1.4.0.25')
#3 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(161): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(399): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(329): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/Mage.php(627): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /home/bitscom/public_html/index.php(80): Mage::run('', 'store')
#8 {main}

Error in file"/home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/community/Find/Feed/sql/find_feed_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.0.1-0.0.2.php" SQLSTATE[23000]Integrity constraint violation1062 Duplicate entry '69-General' for key 2
Trace
:
#0 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(390): Mage::exception('Mage_Core', 'Error in file: ...')
#1 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(289): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb('upgrade', '0.0.1', '0.0.2')
#2 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(233): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb('0.0.1', '0.0.2')
#3 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(161): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(399): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(329): Mage_Core_Model_App->_initModules()
#6 /home/bitscom/public_html/app/Mage.php(627): Mage_Core_Model_App->run(Array)
#7 /home/bitscom/public_html/index.php(80): Mage::run('', 'store')
#8 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community