Magento Forum

It’s been two years, have Magento solved this yet? 

timmle

Total Posts:  72

Configurable Procucts.

I need the customer to input 3 different custom options for the products i sell. But things that are in drop down 1 for instance, can not be combined with options within drop down 2 and the same for drop down 3 and so fourth.

Because of this i can not use the Custom Options feature in Magento as it means all combinations are possible.

What the solution is, is to create simple products with the available combinations and then tie them together in the configurable products so it only shows the ones that ARE possible.

Meaning i have to create 40-50 simple products for each product i actually want to host on the site.

Are Magento improving this for any of the new releases?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

This will solve your problem

http://www.aitoc.com/en/magentomods_custom_options_templates.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

timmle

Total Posts:  72

Cheers for the reply but that extension doesn’t seem to work at all for what i need.

But things that are in drop down 1 for instance, can not be combined with options within drop down 2 and the same for drop down 3 and so fourth.

The extension you posted only creates custom options which can all be used together. Whereas my needs are that some things in drop down 1 do not mix with certain things in drop down 2 and so on.

So what i am having to do at the moment is

… to create simple products with the available combinations and then tie them together in the configurable products(under associated products section) so it only shows the ones that are possible.

It sounds quite confusing but i assure you this is the only way, all the solutions i have heard from people and indeed from that extension is to use the custom options feature. But this means that you can not do the following for example

Drop Down 1- Colour
-Blue
-Black
-Red
Green

Drop Down 2 - Size
-Small
-Medium
-Large
-XL

Drop Down 3 - Sleeve Length
-Short
-Long

So, for instance, the manufacturer doesn’t make Red, Large Shirts with Long Sleeves. So when the customer selectd Red from the first drop down i need Drop Down 2 to only display Smal, Medium and XL, and Drop down 3 to only show Short Sleeves.

I hope this clarifies things a bit. And i don’t sell shirts by the way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

I know what you want, I don’t think there are any ext out there that do that… yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

unexpectedly

Total Posts:  68

In my instance, we are creating simple products based off of one configurable product… it’s actually pretty easy, as all of them are done from the bottom tab in the configurable product’s page. I then do NOT make the simple products visible in the catalog… and I only expose my preferred selling items to visibility to search.

So… given that… have you tried creating a sub-set of simple items? What happens to the front end option choosing if there are not options for a particular combination? There are many many situations where attributes have dependencies; I am surprised there isn’t an extension for this already.

Another case is with jeans:

Material  -->  Color
Denim            black
Denim            blue
Cordorouy        red
Cordorouy        brown

Magento Community
Magento Community

chadjmorgan

Total Posts:  252
Michigan

timmle - 08 February 2011 09:55 AM

Configurable Procucts.

I need the customer to input 3 different custom options for the products i sell. But things that are in drop down 1 for instance, can not be combined with options within drop down 2 and the same for drop down 3 and so fourth.

Because of this i can not use the Custom Options feature in Magento as it means all combinations are possible.

What the solution is, is to create simple products with the available combinations and then tie them together in the configurable products so it only shows the ones that ARE possible.

Meaning i have to create 40-50 simple products for each product i actually want to host on the site.

Are Magento improving this for any of the new releases?

I have used this extension and it works great. Great support also! http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/Pektsekye/extension/2964/dependent-custom-options

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community