Hey guys, we’ve taken some additional measures to hopefully solve our captcha problem, please check in if you’re still experiencing a problem.
We’re still seeing some problems this AM. The team has been notified and we’re working to correct them.
I’m also a little behind on messages/email and PM so please be patient. If you have an URGENT problem or something that requires my attention right away, please put URGENT in the subject line. I’m doing my best to catchup! Thanks for understanding.
We are aware that we’re experiencing some AM Captcha problems. I’ve put in a request to IT to have it looked at. I will update you when I receive more information.
It shouldn’t be case sensitive and I am getting reports so I believe it’s still a problem. We were having posting issues this AM as well. I’ll re-stick this thread. The team is looking into it. Thanks!
I wonder if I post this in wrong box. If yes, I am really sorry.
I have a question about the rule when publish new extension. Where I can read the rule?
By the way, Are you going to censor the posts (new extension) in longer time than you did in the past?
coz I have published some new extensions some days ago but now their status are still PENDING.
And one more question, when I post community extension, seem that upload file is required although at new extension release box has not \"*\", so my post is always incomplete/upload (I don\’t know why), which type of file that you accept for upload area??? or I did something wrong??(I try .zip, .doc, .pdf, .xml,… all not work)
please answer me, thank you
I thought I was having the same problem, but I think it is resolved. I know this is an old thread, but it was the only one I could find with the same symptoms.
I couldn’t reply to any other thread, but this one.