Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Authorize.net transaction : ‘description is required’

Thoths Tablet

Total Posts:  5

I’ve been using my Authorize.net developer account successfully for a while to do mock transactions with the store.
Today, I replaced my developer account credentials with my client’s information and tried to test things out.
When I try to purchase, I get a response from the site that says ‘Description is required’.

I have no idea where the ‘description’ field should exist or why it’s not being populated by Magento. If anyone has any idea where in the code / database I need to look, please point me in the right direction.  If it happens to be a bit of code that gets its data in a dynamic way - I’m fine with hard-coding the ‘description’ field if need be.

Does anyone know where I need to look in the code??
...so close to the finish line…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Aristan

Total Posts:  13

I am having this exact same problem! Help with it would be MOST appreciated. This is the first link on Google when “Description is Required Authorize.net” is searched for, so It’d be great if someone would post the answer here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aristan

Total Posts:  13

Thought I’d update this so that people who may need it later can find the answer easily. It’s something that both myself and the original poster learned the hard way, so maybe we can keep others from having this problem.

This is not a problem with Magento, but rather a setting that needs to be changed on Authorize.Net. If you are receiving this error, your current Authorize.Net configuration is set to require a description of the transaction. Magento does not fill in this field, so Authorize.Net will not process the order.

You can change this by logging in to the main Authorize.net account and looking under settings. Join a live chat in Authorize.Net and they’ll tell you exactly where the setting is hiding.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bluewebshop

Total Posts:  1

To edit what fields are viewable, editable, and required on the Authorize.Net Payment Form:

1. Log into your Merchant Interface at https://account.authorize.net
2. Click Settings link on the left under Accounts.
3. Click Payment Form under the Transaction Format Settings heading.
4. Click Form Fields.
5. Select which fields you would like to be viewable, editable, and/or required.
6. Click Submit to save the settings.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mhunkler
Guru

Total Posts:  304

I would like to have magento send the description info… how can i do this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tjonnyc

Total Posts:  111

I would also like to know how to get Magento to pass the items’ description to Authorize.net.

Currently, all I get is the (test mode) receipt with the amount, customer name/address/etc - but there is NO WAY to tell which items they bought!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

darshana.sangwan

Total Posts:  9

I also want to know how the Magento pass the description to Authorize.net ?

Please let me know anybody find the solution for that.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community