Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Remove all demo references from the default install? 

pumpkinkid

Total Posts:  4

Hello All!

Happy Halloween!

I have come a long way while deciding which storefront to use for my newly formed store. Oscommerce, ZenCart, I even considered pinnacle cart at one point even though it was 500 dollars. Needles to say, Magento seems like a perfect fit.

There is just one problem…

It seems to me that the program as a whole is all over the place. By this I mean that there are many different places to edit different parts of the layout. For example, I see that there is a place to edit email addresses, however, in the emails that are sent out there is a reference to “dummyemail@magento.com”. I also do not see where I would edit the email that is sent out and I imagine it is yet another example of this as I believe the answer is to edit the file directly (Once I find it).

I am sure that I am just missing something critical. Could I get some help finding parts of the install that need to be changed as to reflect my business and not the Magento demo?

Thanks,
pumpkinkid

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

pumpkinkid

Have found this:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/6177/P15/#t71995

Which touches on the subject, but it seems to only be for emails, can someone add to this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

You’ll probably learn that there is more than just one problem!
One way to change the text you see displayed is to edit the csv translation files found in app/locale/en_US for the default install. Most things are run through the translation script before output, but there might be a few that aren’t. Of course if you wanted to remove translation to speed things up, that won’t work. You’ll have to change the template files.

The email templates are loaded from app/locale/en_US/template/email for the default case. Once you edit it in the backend, the new version is saved in the database. I changed the ones on disk to use static blocks for the customer service message and the style. That way if the client loads a template, they don’t get the demo text in there and all of them can be changed at once by editing the static block.

The callouts (images in left and right column) can also be made into static blocks.

The default welcome message is changed in the System - Configuration.

Some of the demo text is set as defaults in the xml files scattered throughout the code/core directories, but those values are over-ridden in other places.

Magento Community
Magento Community

pumpkinkid

big surprise Lol… Nice… ok, well while that points a few things out, am I the only one that finds the many different ways to modify things counter productive, or is there rhyme to this madness? I really want to learn to love Magento. it seems to be a very powerful application. But it almost seems harder to work with than oscommerce… lol

I appreciate the help and any other that may come up!

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

No, you’re not the only one that noticed that this implementation of separation of model, layout, and view has a lot of crossover of layout and view and model stuff!
I think it’s a really bad idea for how to do things.
If you’re just getting into it, get out now while you can. I would, but I just want to get this project over with so I’m staying for now.  You can’t say you weren’t warned!

Magento Community
Magento Community

pumpkinkid

That bad huh? i’m about to launch in two weeks, I either go above the model, or get a lower end storefront… who would you switch to if you could?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community