Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Non sellable products to handle custom information

bokan

Total Posts:  4

I think it would be fine to be able to create products with none of the default properties.
This products will not be sellable they will just be used to handle information. This would be handy to create catalogues.

We can think of calling this products another name, let say “Objects” and create another hierarchy of categories to store them (but I’m not sure it will be very efficient). This will make Magento the best CMS solution available.

Then we can think of the possiblity to add a new kind of custom attribute that will simply be a reference to one or more objects. Like a custom cross-sell and up-sell lists.

Example of uses :
- Manufacturers for any store
- Artists for an art gallery
- Authors for a book store
- Producers and actors for a movie store
- Singer/Groups for a CD store
- Reciepe for a food store
- “How to grow flower” for a seed store

Actually, I do use Magento for making online catalogues by removing all buying feature, it is really powerfull (but a bit slow).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community