Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Poll
Did you eliminate this issue on your site/s?
Never had this issue - even though I experience high traffic 22
Yes - I use a dedicated server (Even though I shouldn’t have to) 11
Yes - I resolved this issue in other ways and my site is speedy as ever 4
No - I kick myself for using Magento in the first place 6
Can’t say because I don’t have high traffic - but my site is fast! 25
Total Votes: 68
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Does Magento ‘clog’ up bandwidth on servers? 

Yudi

Total Posts:  51

As I’m developing my ecommerce site (with Magento of course) I’m getting severe warnings from some developers and merchants alike. shut eye  I’m sure that it is based on real facts as I know these people personally - so don’t say they have ulterior motives, it’s not possible I’ll hear the same thing from so many people. They claim that when there are a number of clients surfing a Magento site, especially when they simultaneously do transactions, the system gets really slow. This can happen even to sites optimized for speed - and possibly even with a dedicated server (either way a dedicated sever should not be a requirement). It seems that the Magento platform is somehow prone to bandwidth shortages. Anyone else experienced this? Better, anyone did not? Only a site that has a lot of traffic can speak.
Lastly: Obviously a lot of Magento sites have this or similar issues and it is really frustrating. So, I ask, those that claim they had no problem, what was your remedy? What did you do different?  question
I’m really excited about the features of Magento, but this needs a good and solid response. I ask the entire community to contribute constructively to this thread.  confused

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hiramh

Total Posts:  9

We used Magento for a client once. The designer & coder said it was wonderful to use for templating (other carts are a nightmare to template) but I found it really difficult to use from a customer’s standpoint, almost over engineered. And, worst of all, it’s very very slow. I know this has been addressed a number of times on the forum and I suspect the next version will be faster. We maybe willing to give it a shot when the new version comes out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

It’s a pretty well known fact that Magento needs a lot of available resources. Using it on a shared host is never advisable.

Have you read the blog post about do it yourself customizations to make? (Not sure you can make them on shared hosting)…

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/performance-is-key-notes-on-magentos-performance/

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

Read this thread for one reason it’s slow: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/20037/
Also, implement the suggestions in the Yahoo guide referenced in the .htaccess file. They will speed things up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Magento does not actually clog up bandwidth but more to resource usage like CPU and RAM.
How much traffic do you expect to have? How many products will you be selling?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Yudi

Come forth and help the community!!!!!!
Magento Community - any more suggestions??
I’m all for Magento, don’t get me wrong, but this thread deserves more attention!
Magento staff - please, I’ll appreciate a response!
cool mad

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

I don’t think Magento stores are more prone to bandwidth shortage than other sites. What matters is the CPU and memory resources available. Bandwidth usage will vary with the traffic/number of visitors as any other site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cooca

Total Posts:  37

I would prefer to leave a vote for another option, that although I am satisfied to use Magento, I do believe it is WAY too slow.
Magento needs a swift kick up the arse in the speed stakes, as it stands for me it is also Magento’s biggest weakness.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Yudi

Magento Community! Please contribute and bring forth your suggestions! At least take a vote. (To see the poll results, just log out).

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

Magento is more I/O bound than anything. If it’s a place they need to optimize, it’s in the I/O area.

Perhaps it’s the autoloading of ZF (not sure if they are using it though)......

Other than that, Magento should run fine on most servers. And it runs great on high-end servers so no complaint there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Yudi

Thanks SimpleHelix! I didn’t really grasp it. I’ll appreciate if you would elaborate. Waiting for more input from the community at large! Especially Magento team!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Yudi

Hi friends, What’s pretty obvious here is that the key to fast Magento performance lies in the memory and CPU capabilities of the server. If so I have a question to Varien and the Magento staff: On the link that describes the system requirements for the Magento platform (http://www.magentocommerce.com/system-requirements) why is there no information about this? They seem to only mention at the base level what the system needs. However, that’s not fair!!! For 2 reasons:
1) Anyone that wants to use Magento for their store obviously wants it to work quickly. They should be informed straightaway that they might need to optimize their server. And...if they use these requirements to sign a contract with a host that does not have optimized servers - they will get mighty disappointed when they realize that they need a different plan (if they ever realize that). This is what happened to me.
2) Why should the community be at the whims of all the hosting companies fighting to prove that they know the secret to optimize Magento? Each host has different claims. Why can’t Magento staff set a standard and tell us the optimal memory and CPU requirements? This is will work to Magento’s benefit too - a lot less people will kick themselves for using Magento!
Again Magento is doing an amazing thing. I just wish I knew earlier how to reap the benefits by getting the right hosting plan and not getting stuck with a worthless contract!
Go Magento!

Magento Community
Magento Community

marc_j

Total Posts:  37

@Yudi - are you blind to your own poll that you in fact created. Read the results before making crazy person statements.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community