Magento Forum

Installed wrong version

cadoworld

Total Posts:  27

Hi Everyone,

I am novice on magento and website ... then I asked a friend of mine to install and host magento on his server. I am currently with it to create products… However, I am not sure if I ve got the right version install as on the admin it is writting Magento ver. 0.6.14100.
If it is not the right one, how can I up date it?
My website : www.glasspebbles.co.uk

Thank you for your help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

newtothis

Total Posts:  28

Hi

The current version is1.1.6

if yo go to admin | system | magento connect you can download updated if required.

make sure you create a back up first admin | system | tools | backup - in case you have any issues

there is a lot more info here:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/how-to-upgrade-magento-to-a-newer-preview-version

hope this helps..

Magento Community
Magento Community

WebShopApps
Guru

Total Posts:  460
London, UK

Hi,

Just a couple of words of warning (from my own experiences!).

1) The backup in Magento doesnt really work.  I’d suggest you backup the database and take off a copy of any themes/media directories you have created.
2) Looking at your site it doesn’t look like you are too far down the line with customising the theme.  I’d recommend you don’t use the update facility as it is plagued with problems, and actually install a new version from scratch.  There are various ways of doing this, but if you install over the top of your existing database you will find your products are kept in place - then it’s simply a case of copying back in the media files.  If you go the upgrade route you might find it painful.

BTW: This problem with upgrading is really only an issue with 0.x to 1.1+ versions, I haven’t seen it so much with the new releases (e.g. 1.4 to 1.6).

Rgds

Karen

Magento Community
Magento Community

cadoworld

Total Posts:  27

Thank you for your help, we have now install the right version. Everything seems ok.... except we have some problem to have access to admin time to time. We cannot figure out why ? I am going to send a new post for it but if someone had the same problem please let me know what you did to improve the problem.

Regards,
Phil

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community