Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Adding custom CSS to installed theme page.xml

vmail

Total Posts:  1

Hi there,

I am very new to Magento, so please bear with me if this is a stupid question!

I have the HelloWired theme installed, and would like to add a link to my own custom CSS file, and was led to believe that this should be done in the ‘page.xml’ file within the installed theme (app/design/frontend/default/hellowired/layout).

I have opened the file and amended the code (copying the code that is already there), but no new link appears when I refresh the page.  It actually doesn’t even look like the code that is being published on the page is coming from page.xml to begin with.

Example of the code I added:

<action method="addCss"><stylesheet>css/myCss.css</stylesheet></action>

and also

<action method="addItem"><type>skin_css</type><name>css/myCss.css</name></action>

Neither of those reflect a change in the page.  The CSS the HelloWired page.xml is calling by default is “widgets.css, styles.css and custom.css”, whereas the page is loading with calls to “styles.css, widgets.css and print.css” which is what is not making sense to me.

So, at the end of all that, my question is this - am I doing the right thing and in the right place, and, if so, why isn’t the site using the ‘page.xml’ from the installed theme (and what page IS it loading?).

And, if not - what am I doing wrong!?

Any help/advice/insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

V

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Cyclops19

Total Posts:  134

I am working on exact same thing .  I added to Mage_Page at bottom of same page - also no results . I added scripts to miscellaneous scripts in system /config/

I’m trying to add JS and css , I’m running version 1.5.0 , I’ve added as static block -widget - directly to base page.xml, base page phtml, head. phtml , in misc script, on cms page layout update xml ,, I adding it everywhere I can think of just to try to get it to work .. If you figure this out please update post so that I will get email ... Thanks Gary

Magento Community
Magento Community

sohrabme

Total Posts:  2

Make your local copy of design html,css,js etc in one file, then in magento admin make new csm page add your css hml js, and save page

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community