Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Will magento work for a VPS site? 

TRT

Total Posts:  2

I intend to use Magento for a VPS (Virtual Private Server) website. Is this a bad idea? I have seen a few discussions about recurring services not yet being supported by Magento. My first thought is that I can probably fudge things and make Magento work. Am I off base here. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

You mean you plan on using a VPS to host your Magento site.

Be sure to check the server specs. You will want a higher end server.  A dedicated server would be better as you might need the speed / bandwidth (Magento is a resource hog). Be sure to tweak your sql settings.

I suggest http://www.servint.net - They have superb customer service and great servers (be prepared to pay $50+ per month).

Make sure you have PHP 5.2.x installed, apache (of course), pdo_mysql.

If you are the root user of the VPS, which I am assuming you are in the above info, (that is, if you are in control of the server, and aren’t one of the accounts on the VPS) you will have the power to change PHP, etc, to make Magento work (for instance, if you dont’ have pdo_mysql).

If you are just an account on the VPS and going through a reseller, then you have to make sure you have the proper plugins, etc and can get them if you don’t have them available.

If you are just one account of many on someone’s VPS, I suggest getting your own server (my server recommendation above still holds).

Hopes this makes sense!

Magento Community
Magento Community

TRT

Total Posts:  2

No, I mean I plan on selling VPS’s using a Magento run website. Thanks though.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community