Magento Forum

Insufficient write file permissions when trying to download from Magento Connect

Shimi

Total Posts:  22

Downloaded and installed Magento 1.1.6 without any issue, but now when I try to download themes and extensions I get following message.

Error: Please check for sufficient write file permissions

Based on the installation guide I CHMOD the following file and folders to 777 magento/var/.htaccess, the directories magento/app/etc, magento/var, and all the directories under magento/media still got the same ‘insufficient write file permissions’ message searched the forum, almost all replies suggested to CHMOD all folders to 777 and files to 644 since I don’t have SSH I requested my host to do this for me but they refused stating 777 is a security risk (quote from hosting company)

777 _IS_ most indeed a security issue.
777 is like leaving the keys in your car in a mall parking lot, hoping nobody will take your car. There WILL be exploits, if not today, tomorrow - but there WILL be. ANYONE - ANYTIME can upload a script to that directory - execute it and wipe out your files, read your databases and potentially hijack a server.

My question to be able to download from Magento Connect except the file and folders mentioned above which files and folders do I need the change permission, or how can I download manually and ftp to server (I don’t know why this method is not provided) any help or suggestion short of changing host is appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Yes I do not recommend all files or folders to be CHMOD to 777 as it may compromise the security of your store.
What we use is 755 for all directories and 644 for all files since we have suPHP/suEXEC enabled.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shimi

Total Posts:  22

If 777 is not recommended than a moderator should stop users recommending 777 permission or an official announcement stating this.

Back to my problem all folders are CHMOD 755 and files 644 except the ones mentioned in the first post which are 777 but still get permission error when I try to download from Magento Connect, what could be wrong I am stuck on this since Saturday October 25th.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

As I have stated our servers are suPHP/suEXEC enabled and as such our users does not need to worry about file permissions issues as they are automatically set to 644 and 755. I am not sure about what configurations your hosting provider is using and as such it is best to check this with them as nobody knows better about their server configurations than themselves.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community