Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it possible to import product with XLS file? 

Jun S

Total Posts:  23

Hi,

as im more comfortable with excel file rather than CSV file.

I’ve always came up an arror ( Disallowed file type ) when i try to upload xls file through backend.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

No, Magento Dataflow does not directly support importing from Excel spreadsheets.

It can export in an XML format that is readable by Excel and should be able to import the same XML file. You will need to do a little research on producing this format. It\’s probably available under one of the Excel “Save As” functions.

Dataflow Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah article here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagePsycho
Mentor

Total Posts:  1702

Can’t you convert the xls to csv and import again?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

As in doing this...

Magento Community
Magento Community

GoMage.com

Total Posts:  74

Hi, using Feed Pro extension for Magento you can import files in csv, txt, xml formats.
Dynamic Attribute allows you to set your own conditions for Categories, Prices and etc

More information and demo find here:

slides - 16 January 2011 04:30 PM

Hi,

as im more comfortable with excel file rather than CSV file.

I’ve always came up an arror ( Disallowed file type ) when i try to upload xls file through backend.

GoMage Feed Pro

Magento Community
Magento Community

Raadhuis voor creatieve communicatie

Total Posts:  11

I’ve got a sortlike problem that’s why i thought i’d post it here.

I’m importing a CSV that comes from my client’s Catalog system. Of course the markup of this file isnt exactly the one that is needed by Magento for importing without errors. I found out which fields represent the fields in Magento and got this import-profile up in Magento. But still i haven’t got values for the fields “store” and “type”. And these are mandatory fields.

So that leaves me two options:
1. I can manually edit the file and add the required values for every product im importing
2. I can make a script to do this since it will be the same value for every product i’m importing.

Is this the way to go? Or am i missing or overlooking something really big?

Magento Community
Magento Community

galacomm

Total Posts:  7
Toronto

We\’re developing something for this as we speak… All you spamming \"promoters\" make me puke !

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jun S

Total Posts:  23

hi..

thanks for all reply…
i guess ill go for csv for now..

thanks once again

Magento Community
Magento Community

sergiy90

Total Posts:  20

To my mind, converting from xls to csv or xml is really not very good. Due to the different things the file can be unreadable. It happend with me once. If somebody needs I can recommend to visit this page. Not to promote it, you will find all needed info on the site.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

All you’ve got to do with CSV is make sure it has the proper columns and is UTF-8. It’s universally readable.

Microsoft Excel changes its XLS file format every time there’s an upgrade and version change, so as an import method, it’s doubly littered with landmines. If you make the proper settings, it will output proper UTF-8 CSV files. Its weird column translations on opening a CSV file are another reason I despise it for use with Magento.

Microsoft Access actually reads and writes CSV UTF-8 files in a proper output when you request it to. You do an initial setup for an import profile and export profile and things actually function.

Microsoft is slowly being dragged out of the weird and unnatural world of code pages and encodings and into UTF-8 reality and fights it tooth and nail to produce almost but not quite compatible UTF-16 which few use and UTF-8 that sometimes requires a BOM despite the fact that it’s written into the spec to be backwards compatible with ASCII and Western European encoding requiring no cludges or crutches. A small tactical nuke delivered in the right spot might help them join the rest of the world in demanding a single, usable encoding scheme that follows the rules so everyone can communicate.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ackley

Total Posts:  28

Magento Uses a CSV file format for import and export for products. This CSV file format contain the optimize the attributes, edit & export, import the data. According to me disallowed file type error is comes with flash type files in xls format .if you have any flash type files,just move to the media directory and then update the links. This allows to Tools->configuration, click on the interface and set the Unloadable Flash type files

Magento Community
Magento Community

FViking

Total Posts:  4

Magento does not support xls ot xlsx. Use csv for your product importing. As for me it is easier. Also you can read this article about how to create a proper csv...I think it will be useful for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tortora

Total Posts:  31

We have an application that offers a simple way to import products and addresses some of these issues.  You can get more info on it at www.ClaraStream.com and feel free to email me at info@clarastream.com if you have any questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community