Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

subdomain in ssl

dilby

Total Posts:  33

Hi all -

I currently have a site at

www.domain.com

and want to use this for my checkout:

secure.domain.com

I have seen on forum posts here that it’s possible to do this, but i have purchase an ssl for the secure subdomain and set it up in the configuration as the secure base url and i get a 404 (which makes sense to me as nothing is in the subdomain.)

Still, I’ve read it’s possible. Can someone please be so kind as to explain to me how? I just think having the word secure in the url looks so much better and is more reassuring for customers.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ben Marks

Total Posts:  452
Isle of Palms, SC

The solution depends on your host. Having done a number of these, I’d set your www. domain up as the addon/pointer/alias domain and the subdomain up as the “main” domain to which you would associate the SSL. No duplication of files, no symlinks.

Good primer: http://www.crucialwebhost.com/blog/how-to-setup-multiple-magento-stores/

HTH
Ben

Magento Community
Magento Community

dilby

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I can’t really do this because I’m guessing the ‘secure’ word would be in the urls and they’re already indexed as the old url :(

Are there any other methods?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ben Marks

Total Posts:  452
Isle of Palms, SC

Unfortunately I can’t really do this because I’m guessing the ‘secure’ word would be in the urls and they’re already indexed as the old url

What I’ve described wouldn’t change that.

What you need to do is have both www.domain.com and secure.domain.com point to the same folder. As long as only one of those needs an SSL cert, this can be accomplished via on account.

This behavior can be simulated by the tutorial I posted previously.

HTH
Ben

Magento Community
Magento Community

dilby

hi ben thanks for that. However my subdomain currently does repoint to the root anyway. My hosts set up the subdomain for me - all i know is that its inside the public_html folder. does this put a spanner in the works? And the install i have is in a /store subdirectory in the root.

I am trying to use your ‘Subdomain Method’ part of your blog (although im new to command line stuff!)

currently my

https://secure.domain.com/store/checkout/onepage/

brings up a 404.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MDG-IT

Total Posts:  31
Melbourne, Australia

The secure.domain..  subdomain needs to point to your Magento installation folder, whether this is in root, /store etc.

You also need to set the cookie domain as .domain.com, so that logins etc are persistent across the subdomains.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community