Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Adding links to top menu

aimon

Total Posts:  4

Hey Guys,

I am having real troubles adding links to the top menu across the site and would appreciate you heko.

I have included the links in the app/design/frontend/default/default/template/catalog/navigation/top.phtml as described in
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to/add_home_link_to_menu_bar

I can only get the About Us page to show up and this is only in the catalog pages. How can i add menu items across the site (including the homepage and CMS created pages?

My code is as follows

<div class="header-nav-container">
<div class="header-nav">
<h4 class="no-display"><?php echo $this->__('Category Navigation:') ?></h4>
<ul id="nav">
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('home')?>"><?php echo $this->__('Home') ?></a></li>
<?php foreach ($this->getStoreCategories() as $_category): ?>
<?php echo $this->drawItem($_category) ?>
<?php endforeach ?>
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('contactus')?>"><?php echo $this->__('Contact Us') ?></a></li>
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('faq')?>"><?php echo $this->__('FAQ') ?></a></li>
<li><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('aboutus')?>"><?php echo $this->__('About Us') ?></a></li>
</ul>
</div>
<?php echo $this->getChildHtml('topLeftLinks') ?>
</div>

Thanks

Aimon

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cwsites

Total Posts:  5
Atlanta, GA

It worked for me, I would say to make sure that your

getUrl('contacts')
is pointed at the right page and that it’s enabled. I know by default the contact us page is “contacts” not “contactus”

Not sure about the others.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fiber0pti

Total Posts:  81

I’m also having problems with this. I can’t get the about magento page to show up as a menu item without totally destroying the entire output. I’ve added

<li><a href="<?php echo getUrl('about-magento-demo-store') ?>"><?php echo $this->__('About'?></a></li>

to the file: top.phtml

How do I add menu items to link to CMS content?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Raptor Commerce (toby)

Total Posts:  180

fiber0pti - 22 May 2009 08:34 AM

I’m also having problems with this. I can’t get the about magento page to show up as a menu item without totally destroying the entire output. I’ve added

<li><a href="<?php echo getUrl('about-magento-demo-store') ?>"><?php echo $this->__('About'?></a></li>

to the file: top.phtml

How do I add menu items to link to CMS content?

@fiberOpti - you might want to look at our extension Custom menus which allows you build your own menus, in addition to the standard Magento product categories. We also offer another extension, Supermenu which builds on the functionality of Custom menus and allows you to display multi column drop down menus as used on sites like asos.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sajid iqbal

Total Posts:  14

All links place in above mentioned way worked for me. The problem is how can i get active states for these links?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mazy

Total Posts:  17

I would also like to know how o get active links working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Germán W

Total Posts:  22

\"mazy\" -

I got active links to work this way:

<li class="level0 nav-5<?php if (Mage::helper('core/url')->getCurrentUrl() === Mage::helper('core/url')->getHomeUrl().'contacts/'):?> active<?php endif;?>">
<
a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('contacts')?>"><?php echo  $this->__('Contact Us'?></a>
</
li>

What the “php if” does is check if the current URL is the same as this page url and if so it adds the “active” class to the link.

So the .\’contacts\’ part should be what comes after /index.php/ in you pages\’ URL.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hancoha

Total Posts:  20
Auburn, Alabama

Germán W - 23 April 2010 02:45 PM

\"mazy\" -

I got active links to work this way:

<li class="level0 nav-5<?php if (Mage::helper('core/url')->getCurrentUrl() === Mage::helper('core/url')->getHomeUrl().'contacts/'):?> active<?php endif;?>">
<
a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('contacts')?>"><?php echo  $this->__('Contact Us'?></a>
</
li>

What the “php if” does is check if the current URL is the same as this page url and if so it adds the “active” class to the link.

So the .\’contacts\’ part should be what comes after /index.php/ in you pages\’ URL.

This worked great. Is it important to have the / after the page url? For example about-us/. It works just fine for me using about-us but I didn’t know if there was some issue with that. Thanks,

Magento Community
Magento Community

mancourt

Total Posts:  34

I’m trying to get this to work in Magento 1.4.1 by editing top.phtml using a page “upcoming-sales.html”.

<li class="level0 nav-5<?php if (Mage::helper('core/url')->getCurrentUrl() === Mage::helper('core/url')->getHomeUrl().'upcoming-sales.html/'):?> active<?php endif;?>">
<
a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('upcoming-sales.html/')?>"><?php echo  $this->__('Upcoming Sales'?></a>
</
li>

It’s not adding a class, is my code wrong or does this hack not work for 1.4.1?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

raska__

Total Posts:  42

Hi,
I think that this is a cache problem.
If you disable Block html cache from admin you will see correct, but is not the solution.....

bye

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

For 1.4.1.1

For enabling dynamic top menu and navigation elements, instead of disabling the BLOCK_HTML cache, disable caching of the block element altogether.

Find /app/code/core/local/Mage/Catalog/Block/Navigation.php and save it to your local code store.

Look for the _construct() code block

protected function _construct()

{
        $this
->addData(array(

'cache_lifetime'    => false,

'cache_tags'        => array(Mage_Catalog_Model_Category::CACHE_TAGMage_Core_Model_Store_Group::CACHE_TAG),
        )); 

}

And comment out the CACHE_TAG stuff as follows:

{

/*    $this->addData(array(
            'cache_tags'        => array(Mage_Catalog_Model_Category::CACHE_TAG, Mage_Core_Model_Store_Group::CACHE_TAG),
        )); */

}

This should force Magento to create a fresh version of Catalog_Block_Navigation each time page reload occurs, allowing you to use Block HTML caching and getting back some speed while enabling the fancy stuff.

EDIT: A more sophisticated and fully modularized way of doing this cache prevention over here

Magento Community
Magento Community

freshwebs

Total Posts:  153
Leicestershire, UK

chiefair - 31 October 2010 10:15 AM

For 1.4.1.1

For enabling dynamic top menu and navigation elements, instead of disabling the BLOCK_HTML cache, disable caching of the block element altogether.

Find /app/code/core/local/Mage/Catalog/Block/Navigation.php and save it to your local code store.

Look for the _construct() code block

{
        $this
->addData(array(

'cache_tags'        => array(Mage_Catalog_Model_Category::CACHE_TAGMage_Core_Model_Store_Group::CACHE_TAG),
        )); 

}

And comment out the CACHE_TAG stuff as follows:

{

/*    $this->addData(array(
            'cache_tags'        => array(Mage_Catalog_Model_Category::CACHE_TAG, Mage_Core_Model_Store_Group::CACHE_TAG),
        )); */

}

This should force Magento to create a fresh version of Catalog_Block_Navigation each time page reload occurs, allowing you to use Block HTML caching and getting back some speed while enabling the fancy stuff.

Thanks for the heads-up on this one - I was struggling to figure out what was going on. Works on 1.3.2.4 too.
Regards,
Eddie

Magento Community
Magento Community

ArashNL

Total Posts:  11

I just change my code to this and it works fine smile. Of course Flush the cach was needed. im using magento 1.4.1.1. There is no activation piece of code needed.

<?php $_menu = \\\'\\\'?>
<?php $_menu .= $this->drawItem($_category) ?>
<?php endforeach ?>
<?php if ($_menu): ?>
<div class=\\\"nav-container\\\">
<ul id=\\\"nav\\\">
<li class=\\\"level0 first nav-home\\\"><a href=\\\"<?php echo $this->getUrl() ?>\\\"><span><?php echo $this->__(\\\'Home\\\') ?></span></a></li>

<li class=\\\"level0 nav-1 parent\\\"><a href=\\\"<?php echo $this->getUrl(\\\'contacts\\\')?>\\\"><span><?php echo $this->__(\\\'Contact\\\') ?></span></a></li>

<?php echo $_menu; ?>
<?php echo $this->getLayout()->createBlock(\\\'cms/block\\\')->setBlockId(\\\'menu\\\')->toHtml() ?>
</ul>
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

Don’t forget to ignore this sign \\\ in the code.
if you want to put the contact menu after your home and product’s category menu. You should put your codes as follow:

<?php $_menu = ''?>
<?php $_menu .= $this->drawItem($_category) ?>
<?php endforeach ?>
<?php if ($_menu): ?>
<div class="nav-container">
<ul id="nav">
<li class="level0 first nav-home"><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl() ?>"><span><?php echo $this->__('Home') ?></span></a></li>
<?php echo $_menu; ?>
<li class="level0 nav-1 parent"><a href="<?php echo $this->getUrl('contacts')?>"><span><?php echo $this->__('Contact') ?></span></a></li>
<?php echo $this->getLayout()->createBlock('cms/block')->setBlockId('menu')->toHtml() ?>
</ul>
</div>
<?php endif; ?>

Magento Community
Magento Community

alexmargineanu

Total Posts:  26
London

A cleaner way to disable block caching for Navigation.php,

Alex.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagePsycho
Mentor

Total Posts:  1702

If you want to edit the top links using a single local.xml layout file then i recommend to use the following technique:
http://classyllama.com/development/magento-development/editing-magentos-top-links-the-better-way/

It just works great. I love the way.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Magazento

Total Posts:  155
Russia,Volgograd

look at this extension i hope you will like it
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/Magazento/extension/6139/magazento_megamenu

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2