Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Vertical left hand menu with Absolute theme? 

alan320

Total Posts:  5

I’ve installed the Absolute theme from Templates Master on my site and I wanted some additional menu options.

I’m trying to apply the vertical left hand menu as described in the Magento wiki article “How to create a vertical left hand menu” and I’m having some issues.

My goal is to have the menu on every page except the home page. I followed the instructions in the article, but instead of changing the code for the Modern theme I’ve been doing it under the /f001/ folder of the Absolute theme.

Unfortunately, after making the outlined changes the menu doesn’t appear at all. I’ve reverted the programmatic changes and put the original pages back in place. My question is: how can I apply that menu in my site using that theme?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have to give a big shout out both to the Magento team and to those at Templates Master for the fantastic software that they have made available.

Regards,
Alan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

MagePsycho

Total Posts:  1702

Hi
You can use this free extension instead:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/Rico+Neitzel/extension/763/vertical-navigation-with-css-classes

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

alanmp320

Total Posts:  2

MagePsycho,

Thanks for the tip! I saw that extension on my earlier searches but wasn’t sure if it would have the “aesthetic” that I was looking for.

Regardless, it’s somewhere to start - plus, you never know if you don’t try it, right?

I’ve installed the extension and so far it’s only been successful in making my original dropdown menus disappear smile

I’ve been reviewing the posts in the forum/docs. I see that some of the files need to be copied to alternate folders if using a different theme, which I am. I’m going to go through the rest of the forum posts and follow the recommended steps. You’ve definitely pointed me in the right direction.

I’ll post back here if I’m not successful in getting it configured. I’ll read all of the other postings related to this extension and try what others have suggested before I post back. I work tech support for high level admins and I know the feeling of getting a call along the lines of “I’ve tried nothing and I’m all out of ideas!”

Thanks again,
Alan

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagePsycho

Total Posts:  1702

Well, in our case we have used this extension in alot of magento shops and works just perfectly.
All you need to adjust your css and you are done.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

alanmp320

Total Posts:  2

After reading some additional posts in the the “How do I use this?” thread I easily configured the plugin to work with my current theme. Thanks again for your suggestion!

Feeling adventurous since I was able to implement the plugin I thought that I’d circle back on the ’How to create a vertical left hand menu?‘ article.

Because I’m using the Absolute theme I want to implement the menu on all pages except the home page. I want to add the left hand menu and use it in addition to the current horizontal dropdown menu along the top; I don’t want to get rid of the menu along the top.

The issues/questions that I’m having are:

1. I was confused by the first instruction “To use the existing left category menu on all pages....” - Does this mean the original left hand menu? Or the menu outlined in the instructions? I did not follow these instructions or implement the code in the first inline frame. I thought it referred to the original left menu that’s part of Magento, not this new menu.

2. “in app / design / frontend / default / modern / layout / catalog.xml

Use this section to include there is no deletion of code just commented out!!”

I was confused by these instructions. I opened catalog.xml in my theme’s folder and there are already “root” and “left” reference names. How can I append the code to this file when there are already references with the same names? Or am I supposed to comment out the existing references and paste in these new ones?

3. I want to keep my current horizontal menu along the top - Do I need to implement the updated top.phtml somehow? Or can this step be skipped?

4. “now to put the Nav on the Home page ” - Can I skip this step because I don’t want to include the left hand menu on the home page?

I’ve implemented the code how I’m interpreting the instructions, but I’m clearly not reading them right. I don’t have the left menu on any pages and my horizontal menu is gone as well (see my site).

Any help with this would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks,
Alan

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community