Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Customizing Magento to support download products

Andre D

Total Posts:  13

I am going to use Magento for digital downloads. As Magento does not directly support this (yet), I think I will need to perform some customization of the checkout process.

What I need can be reduced to these two main things:

1. After a customer purchases a virtual product, I need Magento to perform a remote procedure call of sorts to tell the file server that a particular customer has paid for a certain product. The file server needs to know the customer’s e-mail address, order number, and product purchased.

2. The file server responds with a unique URL. I need this URL to be displayed as a link in the success confirmation page and in the confirmation e-mail.

I’ve been trying to learn Magento’s architecture, but I don’t yet understand where to even begin such a customization.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Pierre Lalonde

Total Posts:  1
Québec

Hi André,

I have the exact same need as you do. Sorry I can’t help you for now, but if I find a work around, I’ll keep you inform.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stephan Wienczny

Total Posts:  19

Hi,

I will have to do something like that with loose coupling of fileserver and magento. I thougt about creating some kind of crypto signed key to the files.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community