Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Creating my own application from your logic. 

mikemike

Total Posts:  6

How easy is it to build your own application with the logic behind Magento?

Basically, can you take pieces of code and put them in your own templates such as:

an item page that has a snippet of code that says “get the item description”, “get the item picture” and so on, and put those into your own template file? With my limited knowledge of programming, that would help me a great deal to construct a store that is completely different that that of Magento’s default. I will be getting rid of most of the functionality on each page, except for;

shopping cart data

item pic

item description

item price

add to cart

nav bar dynamic links

To sum it up, is it easy to add things in or take them away as little snippets, as long as all the correct globals and things still exist?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

mikemike - 20 December 2007 09:07 PM

To sum it up, is it easy to add things in or take them away as little snippets, as long as all the correct globals and things still exist?

Hi mikemike,

Yes, it is. Check the Designer’s Guide to Magento for details on how to work with layouts.

Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikemike

Total Posts:  6

Great, Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community