Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Searching different languages

coeus

Total Posts:  39

Hello, I hope this is in the right forum.

I would like to know if it’s possible to make searching easier for people using english keyboards wanting to search a Vietnamese store. Here’s an example.

A product is titled: “ĐỌC KỸ TRUYỆN KIỀU”

If I use the query “TRUYEN” it will find the product even though I put a regular “E” instead of “Ệ”.

However, it doesn’t work when I try “DOC” instead of “ĐỌC”. It doesn’t find anything.

Is it possible to make the second part work just like it worked with using “E” instead of “Ệ”?

Let me know if this needs more clarification.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@coeus: Maybe you can try using search synonyms:
Go to Admin > Catalog > Search . Add new search. Enter in the form and save:

Search Query: DOC
Synonim For: ĐỌC

See if that works for you

Magento Community
Magento Community

coeus

Total Posts:  39

Wow, thanks Moshe, I didn’t even know Magento had such a feature. That’s awesome.

I was wondering, though, how it was possible that a search for “E” finds “Ệ”. Something in the current system already does this with Ệ . Does this have something to do with UTF-8? I’m a language newb.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Another method it to create some attributes that are searchable but not visible in catalog under Front end Properties of the attribute.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community