Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Documentation for transactional email templates? 

bcelenza

Total Posts:  44

Is there any documentation that gives a quick run-down of what you can do in the transactional email templates? I know I can show dynamic data based on the {{ }} variables, but where is this sort of thing documented? For instance, the order success email passes:

array(

'order'         => $this,

'billing'       => $this->getBillingAddress(),

'payment_html'  => $paymentBlock->toHtml(),
                    )

How can I read/traverse this within the email template? What are my limitations? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cooldar

Total Posts:  95

i need more information as well…
can anyone please help!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

NJ

Total Posts:  10

Need the same info as I would like to display an order list in the sales email and not just name, address, shipping etc., but a list of items ordered and a price - like an invoice.

Magento Community
Magento Community

njwood60

Total Posts:  25

I would very much like this info as well

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Matt Dean
Guru

Total Posts:  549

njwood60 - 11 December 2008 03:42 PM

I would very much like this info as well

Thanks

I’ve been after basic docs for this sort of thing for a while too. No luck so far.
See: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/21534/

And not really in answer to the original question, but I think pretty much as soon as you want to do anything slightly clever with the email templates the best approach is to make a custom block (as you would if you were extending the web-frontend of Magento) and reference that from your email.

Creating a custom block is definitely a job for a coder though.

The fact that Varien have decided to use the nice {{ }} syntax to (presumably) let non-coders add dynamic content to emails and static blocks but then have failed to document it is a very odd thing indeed.

One day if I’m really bored I’ll spend the time to reverse engineer how it works and document it, but it’d be vastly more efficient for the folks that actually implemented it to produce some basic docs for their users.

Ho hum smile
Matt

Magento Community
Magento Community

NJ

Total Posts:  10

Anyone who can post the tag for displaying a list of products purchased and a total amount - think those should be in the sales email but I can’t seem to figure out how to do it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

loko101

Total Posts:  15

There\’s a rundown of transactional email template at magento wiki now :

Wiki - Transactional Email

Magento Community
Magento Community

nasha

Total Posts:  138

Hi
I would like to know that how can i call custom block in transaction email ? Static block are showing ok in email but custom block that have php code is not showing in email.

Example of static block

{{block type=\"cms/block\" block_id=\"my-static-block\" template=\"cms/content.phtml\"}}

Example of custom block

{{block type=\"core/template\" name=\"left_callout\" template=\"callouts/left_col.phtml\"}}

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community