Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I choose between Configurable or Simple? 

ljensen

Total Posts:  20

Hi,

Just wondering what is better:  Configurable or Simple?

We have some floor mats that we sell where you can select between 12 base colors and 12 binding colors (the stitching around the perimeter around the carpet piece).  In essence, there are 144 configurations of the one product.

I don’t know how to build attributes and import them into magento and find that it is simple enough to just enter the 12 colors twice for each offering.

We already have a large number of floor mats (50 or so) that exist as a configurable product.  I need to add a 13th color which is making my life difficult.  If they were listed as simple products with two sets of drop-down option boxes, I know how to add those pretty easily.

Thanks,

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

furnitureforyoultd
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  833

If each base colour is able to use each binding colour then I don’t see a reason not to use simple products with custom options.

I would only use configurable products if there are combinations which are not available, that way you can specify exactly what can be combined. If there is no restriction then there’s no reason to have to create 144 different simple products.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

Total Posts:  618
US

Hi,

If you decide to go with configurable products, please take a look at our Product Matrix extension, it will make the task much easier.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ljensen

AITOC, Inc. - 13 December 2010 03:48 AM

Hi,

If you decide to go with configurable products, please take a look at our Product Matrix extension, it will make the task much easier.

Thanks for the message.  I’ve looked it over and watched the demo video.  Looks great but once the matrix is built, can I modify the matrix?  This is specific to the scenario I pointed out in the first post.  Also, how will this extension integrate with my existing configurable products?

Thanks again,

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

US

ljensen - 13 December 2010 05:37 AM

Thanks for the message.  I’ve looked it over and watched the demo video.  Looks great but once the matrix is built, can I modify the matrix?  This is specific to the scenario I pointed out in the first post.  Also, how will this extension integrate with my existing configurable products?

Thanks again,

Hi,

The extension allows to create and manage simple associated products within the matrix. Once you install it, it will be applied to all the configurable products with two attributes. There’s also a live demo available at the product page, you can use it to make sure the extension is what you need.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ljensen

AITOC, Inc. - 13 December 2010 05:49 AM

ljensen - 13 December 2010 05:37 AM

Thanks again,

Hi,

The extension allows to create and manage simple associated products within the matrix. Once you install it, it will be applied to all the configurable products with two attributes. There’s also a live demo available at the product page, you can use it to make sure the extension is what you need.

I apologize as I am 10% proficient at Magento at best.  In the demo video on your website, the featured product is a T-shirt that comes in three sizes and 10 colors (30 associated simple products).  Let’s say things have been running along fine for a year but there is a new demand for extra large shirts and I would like to add that size not only to that specific offering but across all my clothing products.  Two questions:

1.  Can I make that addition?
2.  Will that addition be added to all configurable products that share the exact same two attributes of size and color? 

If this can be done, I can shave off about 4 weeks worth of work!

Unfortunately, I will still have to edit the photos that represent all the color options for all the existing products.  DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW OF A BETTER WAY TO DISPLAY COLOR OPTIONS SO THAT IF I WANT TO ADD ANOTHER COLOR, THE SELECTION AND AN ACTUAL COLOR SWATCH WILL APPEAR FOR ALL CONFIGURABLE PRODUCTS THAT SHARE THE SAME ATTRIBUTES?

PLEASE VISIT http://www.scs-interiors.com/aerospace/cessna/cessna-350-400-corvalis/cessna-350-400-full-set-floor-mats-for-aircraft-w-factory-a-c-w-g1000.html.  You’ll see that there is a thumbnail with a jpg image of 12 colors to choose from.  Is there a better way to display those colors so that I don’t have to re-edit the color swatch image to add a 13th color?  As it is now, I’ll have to delete/add another thumbnail image for about 85 configurable products.  It’s not the way I want to spend my day.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

AITOC
Guru

US

ljensen - 13 December 2010 06:12 AM

Let’s say things have been running along fine for a year but there is a new demand for extra large shirts and I would like to add that size not only to that specific offering but across all my clothing products.  Two questions:

1.  Can I make that addition?
2.  Will that addition be added to all configurable products that share the exact same two attributes of size and color? 

1. Yes
2. Unfortunately no, you’d have to add them manualy

ljensen - 13 December 2010 06:12 AM

Unfortunately, I will still have to edit the photos that represent all the color options for all the existing products.  DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW OF A BETTER WAY TO DISPLAY COLOR OPTIONS SO THAT IF I WANT TO ADD ANOTHER COLOR, THE SELECTION AND AN ACTUAL COLOR SWATCH WILL APPEAR FOR ALL CONFIGURABLE PRODUCTS THAT SHARE THE SAME ATTRIBUTES?

There’s an extension for that somewhere on Magento Connect, but we’ve never used it, so I don’t know if it’s good enough to recommend.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community