Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Changing Site template from 3column to 2column-left

designoven

Total Posts:  5

I have manage to change the home page template to 2column-left using the CMS > Manage Page option.

But I can’t understand why I can’t change other pages like catalogsearch.xml or page.xml. It doesnt matter what I change in these files (even I delete the contents of the whole file and save it) nothing on my front end is changing. The only files that seems do anything when I edit them are the .phtml ones. Is it possible that my site isn’t linked up properly or it is looking at the wrong files?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Voot

Total Posts:  261
Long Beach, CA

You need to edit the Catalog.xml file located in the layout folder. Look at the first piece of code

<!--
layoutloads most of the pages
-->

<default>

<!-- 
Mage_Catalog -->
        <
reference name="top.menu">
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.topnav" template="catalog/navigation/top.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="footer_links">
            <
action method="addLink" translate="label title" module="catalog" ifconfig="catalog/seo/site_map"><label>Site Map</label><url helper="catalog/map/getCategoryUrl" /><title>Site Map</title></action>
        </
reference>

</default>

Notice this piece: <action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action> you can change it to 3columns.phtml or 2columns-right.phtml depending on what layout you want. this controls every page except for the product page. If you want to change the layout for the product page, search within this file for “Product View” and make the same changes as above.

If you still don’t see any changes try turning off Cache Management.

Magento Community
Magento Community

designoven

Total Posts:  5

Thanks for your reply.

Turning off the layout cache under System > Cache Management did the trick just incase anyone else is having the same problem

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community