Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento and Zend_Layout

Brikou Carré

Total Posts:  37

The next release of Zend will allow usage of Layout object to make design much easier..

Does magento will take full advantage of this new feature, and will it rely on it for the rendering system??

Thank you

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

I will take a look at it when I’ll get some time.

Meanwhile, could you outline unique features that present in Zend_Layout and don’t exist in Magento, and would be worthy of manpower resources to be incorporated into Magento?

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brikou Carré

Total Posts:  37

Moshe - 19 December 2007 10:11 AM

I will take a look at it when I’ll get some time.

Meanwhile, could you outline unique features that present in Zend_Layout and don’t exist in Magento, (...)

I haven’t studied in depth the way rendering is done in Magento, xml file describes page structure… in order to integrate “blocks” in the finale page. The main feature of Zend_Layout are placeholder already defined for the rendering view (like Registry I guess), what is comparable of blocks are registered in the Zend_Laout placeholder and later called to be rendered in the layout/template.

Some Helpers are already defined in order to have shortcut to special placeholder like title, meta, script, style or even doctype.

In fact I feel that xml configuration in Magento (used to define blocks and pages) implied that the developper take time to leanr this special conventions. But if this rendering was more close to what can Zend_Layout handle it would probably be just on step learning.

I already begun to use it on other projects and it would be nice that Magento rely on Zend as much as possible?

Moshe - 19 December 2007 10:11 AM

(...) and would be worthy of manpower resources to be incorporated into Magento?

Thanks.

I’m not sure to understand what you mean? can you be more precise please…

Cheer

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@Brikou Carré: I do not think we are going to change the default distribution and switch to Zend_Layout.

But I have a feeling that there will be a community contribution that will customize Magento for your needs smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community