Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Manual Uninstallation

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

If somehow your installation is broken so you can’t get to the /downloader to uninstall the Speedster extension you can manually uninstall like so:

0.) If you have previously used Magento’s compilation tool, turn it off

1.) delete this from your .htaccess (if it exists)
############################################
## Compress, Combine and Cache Javascript/CSS
RewriteRule ^(index.php/)?minify/([^/]+)(/.*.(js|css))$ lib/minify/m.php?f=$3&d;=$2

2.) edit “true” to “false” in /app/etc/modules/Fooman_Speedster.xml

3.) refresh your cache or delete all files under /var/cache

-> FOOMAN Speedster should now be uninstalled - to completely remove it delete the following files/folders after performing the above steps

/app/etc/modules/Fooman_Speedster.xml
/app/code/community/Fooman/Speedster (folder)
/var/minifycache (folder)
/lib/minify (folder)
/js/prototype/validation-4min.js (if it exists)
/skin/m (folder, if it exists)

4.) (optional) re-run Magento’s compilation before turning it back on

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ph23man

Total Posts:  14

Is this still accurate? I’m only asking because I like to know exactly what files extensions add to a default Magento installation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

This list should still be accurate. To verify you can always have a look in /downloader/pearlib/download
it contains the files as downloaded via Magento Connect.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

The regex used as part of the standard Magento validation.js causes an error during the minifying process. Speedster comes bundled with a copy of validation.js that uses a less complex regex rule which doesn’t cause errors. Since validation.js is a core file it can’t be directly overwritten by an extension hence the new name.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Ideally you would let me know and I can create a new version of Speedster. What I do is copy the file from validation.js to validation-4min.js comment the third validation rule for email and uncomment the first.

Previously when a new Magento version came out I looked at the included version number in validation.js to see if it got updated. You asking about it make me look at it again. From the location of the file it should be a prototype library file but Varien seems to be adding a few bits without changing the version number :o I will release an update to Speedster shortly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

8asic

Total Posts:  7

I got ahead of myself and disabled the extension through the admin area, when I realized it messed things up I disabled the extension in the xml file.  That fixed the admin issue but didn’t disable the extension.  What it did do however, is break caching somehow.  Now updates to js files and css files don’t take.  I uninstalled the extension through magento connect which removed all of the files you explained how to remove manually in another post. Still have the caching issues.  I just wanted to disable it temporarily while we troubleshoot some java errors, tough to do when they all get jumbled together.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Hi 8asic, after disabling the extension by editing the xml file you probably need to manually delete the /var/cache folder. Afterwards I would suggest going to your back-end where you disabled it and change the setting again to enabled. Turning Speedster on and off via editing /app/etc/modules/Fooman_Speedster.xml works - just make sure to always clear your configuration cache or delete /var/cache after each change.

Magento Community
Magento Community

trigger571

Total Posts:  6

Hi, is there a manual install available. I installed this using the Magento Connect but got disastrous results as previously discussed so had to uninstall it completely. I find Manual installs, though more time consuming are usually far better provided they come with good documentation. Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

Hi trigger you can download the extension files for a manual install from my website after registering. You can reach it via clicking on Support in my signature.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tom Coady

Total Posts:  41

FOOMAN - 25 October 2008 04:58 PM

/var/minifycache
/lib/minify
/js/prototype/validation-4min.js

These paths don’t correspond with the inflate locations, for example:
replace lib/minify/lib/Minify.php? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: y
inflating: lib/minify/lib/Minify.php
replace lib/minify/lib/JSMin.php? [y]es, [n]o, [A]ll, [N]one, [r]ename: y
inflating: lib/minify/lib/JSMin.php

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Auckland, New Zealand

I’m a little bit confused....
isn’t lib/minify/lib/Minify.php
under the path /lib/minify ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Olof

Total Posts:  152

Hi Fooman,

I am trying to uninstall Speedster as I cant get it working with the new nginx static hosting that our host has made available and wanted to check out the inbuilt 1.4 features.

I have edited “true” to “false” in /app/etc/modules/Fooman_Speedster.xml and changed the file_name_prefix to clear the cache, but I am still seeing http://www.xxxxx.co.uk/minify/ in the source…

Any ideas whats up?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

[I’d prefer to leave Speedster in but work out how to pull the combined css from the nginx host by calling the standard url but static.xxxxx.co.uk/minify ]

Magento Community
Magento Community

markrioni

Total Posts:  1

Hi Fooman,

I am using Magento CE 1.6.2.0. I just tried installing with Connect Manager and all my css and js on my site became disastrous.

Will installing it manually make any difference?

Please advise,
Mark

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community