Magento Forum

Migrating to a new server

Host-IT Internet Solutions

Total Posts:  4

Hi All

I’ve got a magento installation, which I’m looking at moving from one server to another.

Now, I have all the hosting setup on the target server to host the magento installation, and I cannot see anything incorrect setup there.

I’ve followed the guide online at http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/groups/227/moving_magento_to_another_server for how to migrate the magento site, however, whenever I follow that, I get some issues post-installation.

Firstly, when I browse to the home page, I can see part of the default magento skin overlayed across the custom skin that’s been put in place.

Secondly, when trying to do various tasks in the admin area, I’m getting errors, for instance, if I click on “Sales > Orders” I get the following:

“Exception printing is disabled by default for security reasons.

Error log record number: 457090015909”

Is there any way I can find out what the error caused by this is

I seem to get varying error messages from the system, no matter what option I select from within the Admin dashboard area.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Ebuntu

Total Posts:  245
Denver, CO

What works on one system might not work on another. Every system is unique. It might be files/directories permission/ownership, files or data got corrupted. It is rather difficult to say what the problem is with your store/server without looking into it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

I’m not sure what information you may need in that case, but I can confirm the following:

Both servers run Debian Linux (64-bit).
Both servers run the Plesk control panel, therefore file paths are exactly the same
I’ve ran all permission change requirements as described in the migration guide on the wiki.

If there’s any other info you need with regards to the server, I’m more than happy to let you know them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Does anyone have any clues as to how I can go about migrating the site without getting parts of the default skin showing?

Magento Community
Magento Community

SpeedBird

Total Posts:  85

Host-IT Internet Solutions - 09 December 2010 03:54 AM

Does anyone have any clues as to how I can go about migrating the site without getting parts of the default skin showing?

If you have followed the migration guide to the letter and this is happening you likely made changes to default layout files on the original store instead of copying them to your themes’ local layout directory structure. Compare the default layout files (might be worth checking the default skin/template files too) between the two sites. If both versions of Magento are the same there should be no differences between the files.

Hard to say for certain if this is the case without actually having access to both servers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

perfectshape

Total Posts:  13

Error logs for magento are found in location var/report. This will give you some idea of what is causing the issue

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community