Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Does Magento support multiple category trees or hierarchical attributes? 

neilad

Total Posts:  1

From what I can see of Magento it can support:

- a single “category” hierarchy. You can have multiple root categories, but not in one site.
- configurable attributes, but an attribute is “flat” and cannot have parent/child hierarchy

In my scenario, a product can be in two trees, say “topic” and “geography”, e.g.

- Topic
-- Green issues
--- Alternative energy

- Geography
-- Europe
--- UK

What I would like to happen is for there to be two layered navigation areas, titled Topic & Geography, as opposed to just the one labeled Category by default.

Then if a user had browsed to Green Issues, they could see both Alternative Energy and Europe as refinements.

Could this be configured in Magento?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Nathan Phoenix

Total Posts:  1

I’m also missing this and believe it would be a great feature for many users! Is there any update on how to best do this?

I’m currently thinking of implementing the second category tree as a set of attributes, but that still is not only cumbersome for the admin but also will give a less straightforward customer experience.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

probably you may create multiple categories, and create a custom block to show them?  It might be easier then create a hierarchy for attributes. Does it make sense?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community