Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

where is the source of the footer

number25

Total Posts:  64

Hello all, Im trying to access the array or whatever it is that generates the footer. Now when I go into the footer phtml, I see this

<?php echo $this->getChildHtml() ?>

Thats it. Im a little confused cause usually there is a parameter that is being past the specifies what exactly is going to be displayed, this is not the case. My question where where can I find the code for whatever is going to be generated as the footer.

Another question is, since there is no parameter being passed within the getChildHtml, how does magento know exactly what to get for this area ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

hey number25,

the information going into the footer (app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/html/footer.phtml) is pulled from various places.

Have a look through the .xml files in the folder /app/design/frontend/default/default/layout

The most important one for the footer is page.xml because that is where it is first set up.

<block type="page/html_footer" name="footer" as="footer" template="page/html/footer.phtml">
    <
block type="page/switch" name="store_switcher" as="store_switcher" template="page/switch/stores.phtml"/>
     <
block type="page/template_links" name="footer_links" as="footer_links" template="page/template/links.phtml"/>
</
block>

But quite a few other modules add content to it as well. For example

catalog.xml
catalogsearch.xml
cms.xml
contacts.xml
rss.xml

all add content to it with this:

<reference name="footer_links">
 </
reference>