Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can Magento handle unique products elegantly? 

TheRitz

Total Posts:  2

I got a new shop to set up. This is for a product where each item is unique. The product are clutch purses made from vintage fabrics and vintage buttons.
You can have a look at the product here.

So while all these purses use the same fabrication template, there is no single purse that is the same as any other. So they are the same product, in a way, but with different ‘look’ each. One ‘look’, once sold once, is gone from the shop forever.

My question is now if Magento is able to manage such a type of product?
Basically, I need the ability to import these as batches via CSV or whatever into the shop, each one with its own image.
When a customer buys one, it is gone forever.
I guess I can just create a different product with quantity one for each and put them all under one category? But I’m unsure if that is a good way to do this and what implications it would have on the shop management side.

I might add that my experience with Magento is zero, I’m currently just looking at which OSS cart can handle this best. smile

If Magento is able to do this, how would I go to set this up in the sandbox shop so I can get an idea how it works?

Thanks in advance,

Moritz

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community