Magento Forum

Community Edition to Professional Edition

sushants1985

Total Posts:  6

Hi all,

I would be grateful to if some one could help me with my following problem:

I am a naive programmer of magento, I want my website to get migrated from community edition to Professional edition,

What I need is a check list or steps to migrate from community edition to professional one.

Kindly help me..looking forward to hear from you.

Regards
Sushant Srivastava

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Total Posts:  2205
Bucharest, Romania

Hi
I’m faced with a similar issue.
I’m trying to move a website built on Magento 1.1.6 to Enterprise Edition 1.9.1.1.
I’ve never seen the professional edition but I assume it’s like enterprise. (community edition + some additional modules).

So far I was able to move only the database and keep all the data. Now I just have to move the code.
What I did was to install Enterprise edition and in the step that asked me to fill in the db credentials, I added the current database credentials (the one for Magento 1.1.6). The install wend smooth. Now I have enterprise edition over the database of the community edition. All the orders and customers are kept (70000 orders and 60000 customer accounts).

The problem is that the user passwords don’t work anymore (EE has a different encrypting algorithm)
Some of the custom features don’t work yet. I think they conflict with something in the Enterprise edition. I just need to identify them and fix them. The important thing is that the most sensitive part (keeping the data) worked like a charm by only installing EE over the community database.

Maybe it works the same for professional edition.

Let me know how it turns out.

(Please backup first).

Magento Community
Magento Community

edmondscommerce
Guru

Total Posts:  342

How about upgrading CE to the latest version first before migrating up to EE or PE?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sushants1985

Total Posts:  6

tzyganu - 25 November 2010 03:56 AM

Hi
I’m faced with a similar issue.
I’m trying to move a website built on Magento 1.1.6 to Enterprise Edition 1.9.1.1.
I’ve never seen the professional edition but I assume it’s like enterprise. (community edition + some additional modules).

So far I was able to move only the database and keep all the data. Now I just have to move the code.
What I did was to install Enterprise edition and in the step that asked me to fill in the db credentials, I added the current database credentials (the one for Magento 1.1.6). The install wend smooth. Now I have enterprise edition over the database of the community edition. All the orders and customers are kept (70000 orders and 60000 customer accounts).

The problem is that the user passwords don’t work anymore (EE has a different encrypting algorithm)
Some of the custom features don’t work yet. I think they conflict with something in the Enterprise edition. I just need to identify them and fix them. The important thing is that the most sensitive part (keeping the data) worked like a charm by only installing EE over the community database.

Maybe it works the same for professional edition.

Let me know how it turns out.

(Please backup first).

I would be more than happy if you could share how would you resolve the login credential issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Bucharest, Romania

I would be happy to know this to smile
I didn’t solve the issue yet.
Worst case scenario...we will send an e-mail to the customers telling them .... ‘something’...and to visit the website and change their passwords. This woudn’t be so bad. We would generate some traffic.

The first idea is to change the encryption model back to the community one.
In theory this will allow customers to use their current passwords.
I haven’t put a lot of work into it. I will let you know how it turns out in a day or 2

Magento Community
Magento Community

tzyganu
Mentor

Bucharest, Romania

Hello.
Like I promised I’m posting my progress on keeping the customer passwords from community edition to Enterprise.
I’ve created a kind of extension that changes the encryption model for the enterprise edition to the old one (Community).

It might work in the same way for Professional.
The downside of this is the fact that I don’t have the advantages of the strong encryption system of the EE.
I can live with that.

The config.xml file for my extension must contain this:

<global>
        <
helpers>
            <
core>
            <
encryption_model>Mage_Core_Model_Encryption</encryption_model>
            </
core>
        </
helpers>

This tells Magento to use as encryption model this class: Mage_Core_Model_Encryption

I get some errors when trying to log into the admin panel, but I disabled all the events that are dispatched when logging into the admin (and frontend to be safe).

Now all I have to do in order to keep the Enterprise functionality is to check all these events and override the ones that are causing the problem. I will try to do as less ‘damage’ as possible in the code.

If you want more details and you have other questions please PM or e-mail me.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community