Magento Forum

How to make google’s spider get multi-language url

cnzz.kobe

Total Posts:  3

hi guys,in the process of using magento system,I struggling with a problem.

Although i have do many things ,but the google search engine can not index the url of another language , even i submit the sitemap mannually.

All what google’s spider find is just the english interface.

How to make google’s spider get the page of another language, French for example.

Any one can give a help?

I really need help!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

wmcferr

Total Posts:  174

The best way to do this is by using “Spider Language”, the language of the Google Search Robots. These robots do not care about the product being sold, its pricing, or how pretty the website is. If the language used in the website is Spider Language, the robot will be attracted to it, giving it a high rating, which results in a high search ranking.

Magento Community
Magento Community

copii

Total Posts:  1
Italy

I’m glad I found this forum where I can make more friends.We cant find new and interesting things together

Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

You can configure separate store view and website in Magento. Than configure your store so that French version will be available here: example.com/fr or french.example.com. It will be the same database, same products and same admin zone, but Google will index it as separate French store.

It is the best solution to my mind.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jobs centre

Total Posts:  2

Turnkeye.com - 08 January 2011 07:48 AM

You can configure separate store view and website in Magento. Than configure your store so that French version will be available here: example.com/fr or french.example.com. It will be the same database, same products and same admin zone, but Google will index it as separate French store.

It is the best solution to my mind.

I must try this step,
and I hope it will be continued,

thanks guys,

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dewdan

Total Posts:  31

I have been having quite much troubles with Google indexing my website and the website handling the /en/ and /es/ bit.

If i Add Store Code to Urls then Google doesn’t find the Spanish pages because the /es/ somehow doesn’t come and it ends to a 404
Also on front end if I switch language i get also a 404 because for some reason Google doesn’t add the /es/ only /en/ works fine.

I now i am not Adding Store Code to Urls, the site works fine but Google doesn’t index the English pages even if the URL are in English.
I have set two site maps and uploaded them to Google to no use, Google indexes 2 pages of the English site when it indexed 51 on the Spanish side.

A real nightmare!!

Magento ver. 1.7.0.2 ohh

Magento Community
Magento Community

Evenshop

Total Posts:  26

I have also an issue with languages.

In the admin section, I configure a product for the french store view (standard) and the german view.

I have 2 urls:
http://www.evenshop.ch/index.php/batterie-iphone-4s.html (french view)
http://www.evenshop.ch/index.php/ersatz-akku-iphone-4s.html (german view)

As you can see, the german one doesn\\\’t work if you don\\\’t switch manually the language. How should I fix this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

People are mixing problems together, we will start with multi-country, there are 4 methods.

1) Subdirectors - Visitor friendly - Google unfriendly (duplicate content)
2) Subdomains - Google friendly - Visitor unfriendly
3) Multiple Top Level Country Domains (multi-language) - both Visitor & Google friendly
4) Single .com with Multi-Country (single primary language) - both Visitor & Google friendly

The first two with either affect sales -or- affect search index ranking, there are no ways around it. Multiple TLDs are for country specific language sites but with very high maintenance (Sephora). Single .com Multi-Country Single-Primary-Language is not supported by Magento (this is Saks, Net-A-Porter, etc.) as this style of store is run by $multi-million companies and outside of Magento’s capabilities.

Now, we can do Single .com multi-country with Magento but that is part of a complete managed eCommerce platform for international sales and not suitable for normal stores. This is the cost of going international, it is very complex and hard to balance Google, Visitors, Content exactly which is why you are all having these problems. You need to pick the least-worst and each of the three options are business specific as to which one is best.

The single country multi-language (CH) is another problem entirely and should not be mixed with above. You really need to pick a primary language and have the others as secondary, it is best to keep the urls a single language otherwise duplicate content issues arise.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Evenshop

Total Posts:  26

serpyre - 28 March 2014 07:27 AM

People are mixing problems together, we will start with multi-country, there are 4 methods.

1) Subdirectors - Visitor friendly - Google unfriendly (duplicate content)
2) Subdomains - Google friendly - Visitor unfriendly
3) Multiple Top Level Country Domains (multi-language) - both Visitor & Google friendly
4) Single .com with Multi-Country (single primary language) - both Visitor & Google friendly

The first two with either affect sales -or- affect search index ranking, there are no ways around it. Multiple TLDs are for country specific language sites but with very high maintenance (Sephora). Single .com Multi-Country Single-Primary-Language is not supported by Magento (this is Saks, Net-A-Porter, etc.) as this style of store is run by $multi-million companies and outside of Magento’s capabilities.

Now, we can do Single .com multi-country with Magento but that is part of a complete managed eCommerce platform for international sales and not suitable for normal stores. This is the cost of going international, it is very complex and hard to balance Google, Visitors, Content exactly which is why you are all having these problems. You need to pick the least-worst and each of the three options are business specific as to which one is best.

The single country multi-language (CH) is another problem entirely and should not be mixed with above. You really need to pick a primary language and have the others as secondary, it is best to keep the urls a single language otherwise duplicate content issues arise.

Thanks for your help.

My website is in Switzerland therefore I would like 1 country and 2 languages (French and German). My primary language is actually french.

Regarding duplicating content, if I have the same product in 2 languages & 2 urls, is it Google friendly?

What I would like to do is when someone in Switzerland search for something in German in Google, my webpages appear in the results and when he comes on my website, he sees the product in German.

Magento Community
Magento Community

serpyre
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  771

You have a difficult problem with single country multi-language, there is not correct answer, a url can be a subdomain, subdirectory, etc. - it is important which one you are referring to. You can choose French as your primary languages, direct Google to the German store and let it decide which it indexes, you can force it to index French only. Google does not like multi-language single domain, it dilutes one to index the other.

Magento Community
Magento Community

elvar

Total Posts:  59

Hi,

I have store code in urls… This is how I started and cant change it now.

What i made in Webmaster and Analytics is for each store view I made separate properties in analytics and websites in webmaster to link them.

Then I have separated stores completely which is fine since I do not have on same store multiple languages. I use store views as views for multiple countries on multiple websites even.

Now I have a problem with webmaster sitemaps.

If I want to add sitemap to store view US I need to have it in

domain.com/us/sitemap.xml

and I cannot have it on

domain.com/sitemap_us.xml - since the domain.com is one TOP over the domain.com/us registered in webmaster.

So webmaster tool expect sitemap under the /us domain.

Since /us comes from store code url’s and not subdirectories - when I CREATE subfolder US under domain root I can submit sitemap BUT then I have folder index on frontend when visitor comes to the domain.com/us url.

How to solve this?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community