Magento Forum

Page 4 of 4
commercial license? 

scott wolpow

Total Posts:  81

What I am asking is what code is covered AFL and what code is covered by OSL.?
Also I may use some code that I have a 1 year license for use in a single domain. Of course I can place it in the template area, but if I did place it in core, how could I give away rights I do not have?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

It says so right on the files - open them up and you’ll see the license. You shouldn’t need to update any of the core files - you can always over-ride. If you do choose to edit a core file, you are creating derivative work and thus would have to make your changes public under the OSL license. If you don’t have rights to the code, this is a problem for you and I would advise to over ride the core file so that you are compliant with the licensing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

scott wolpow

Total Posts:  81

Ah so each file in a directory may be AFL or OSL. They are not in particluar directories except for community and templates.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Total Posts:  462

Any chance of replying to commercial license inquiries?

Magento Community
Magento Community

bob777

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

Practical question, really :

I’m a webdevelopement company and planning to use magento as our ecommerce platform, pls reply me as i want to be in conformity with laws using your solution :

1. I m going to remove copyright notice form visible frontend.

2. I m going to leave admin visible copyright un changed adding “admin by xsd company, based on magento commerce, copyright....” OR can i remove any visible mention for magento ?

3. I m going to take a server and host 10-20 domaines with magento charging for hosting + platforme use and small design modifications

4. I m going to give platforme source files on demand, if somebody asks, no offical link to download publicly visible on my sites

Pls tell me wat sucks or its ok .

Commercial licence ? It is about what ? I’m ok to give sources, the only thing of interest tell less possbile what the solution is based on

Thanks
bob

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

How much does a commercial license cost? E-mailing does not seem to work, so feel free to PM me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

h3rB

Total Posts:  15

Nor have I had any reply in over 1 and a half months. Contacted twice both varien and magento. I think its a bit silly making a CMS, releasing it publicly then locking people from changing files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bob777

Total Posts:  4

ok i found this :
Can I use the “Magento” trademarks, service marks and logos?
Although Magento software is free and open source, the Magento trademarks, service marks and logos are not. You may not use any Magento marks in association with your own goods or services in the field of e-commerce or related software, because consumers could confuse your goods or services with our Magento software or our company’s related services. You may, however, refer to the Magento trademark in any truthful statement (such as, “this company uses Magento software to support its e-commerce system.” See more on the trademark rules below.)

thanks !!! So I can AND must !!!!  remove in admin and front All mentions and logos of magento !!! I cannont believe its true !!! I’m so happy. Just will give a possiblity to load sources to my customers and can use as if it was our system

Magento Community
Magento Community

ShopGuy
Guru

Taking months to reply to customers who want to pay is a sure sign of a company in trouble… What going on with Varien?

Magento Community
Magento Community

J.Winnfield

Total Posts:  1

"For organization seeking to waive the OSL 3.0 license requirement to disclose such changes for derivative works, Varien offers a Magento commercial license.”
I’m also interested about this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kim.rekursief

Total Posts:  3

Hi, I’m a freelance webdeveloper and i’m interested in using Magento for a clients webshop. At first sight I wont edit the core files, just edit the template.

Can I use Magento with the OSL3.0 license for this commercial project.

Best Regards,
Kim

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 4 of 4