Magento Forum

Weird product options placement in modern theme

Frederik Krautwald

Total Posts:  58
Reykjavík, Iceland

I am experiencing some weird behavior with the modern theme. On some products the product options line up nicely on the right side, but other times they float weirdly down below the product images.

I have attached two images to illustrate the problem.

I would kindly appreciate any help with this?

Image Attachments
modern-right.jpgmodern-wrong.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Hi Frikki,

I see the modern theme similar page (from shirts) has validation errors, it will help to eliminate the problem if you clean up the validation - now I am not talking about the ‘&’ not being validated but extra or missing closing tag.

Anyhow, without really working on Modern theme before, I think it is still possible to move the option box to the right. According to this this page:
http://demo.magentocommerce.com/the-only-children-paisley-t-shirt-1.html.

Open the ‘view.phtml’, and look for ‘ Quick Overview’

<h4 class="border-head">Quick Overview</h4>
<div class="short-description">....  </div>
</div> ---> I believe this is the culprit.
<div class="clear"></div>

Try move it to the area where above the :

<ul class="tabs">

Magento Community
Magento Community

Frederik Krautwald

Reykjavík, Iceland

It is not due to invalid HTML—unfortunately. The pages I am working on validate.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Well Frikki, in a floated layout, a closing div tag places in the wrong place can result that weird behaviour even a page has no validation error.
In the theme I was working based on the default theme, that bolded </div> is the closing div for ‘product-info-box’, that is floated right and holds everything including the custom option.  Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Frederik Krautwald

Reykjavík, Iceland

Thanks for your replies, but this is not the issue here. I have though found the solution. When a product is created or edited there is an attribute named ‘Display product options in’ under ‘Design’, which can hold the values ‘Product Info Column’ and ‘Block after Info Column’. Because this setting was set different for my products, I experienced this “float error”.

Unfortunately, the attribute can not be edited for multiple products at the same type, so my solution was to directly edit the database.

The attribute values are stored in the table ‘catalog_product_entity_varchar’ and the ‘attribute_id’ is ‘594’. The values for the attribute can be either ‘category1’ or ‘category2’, corresponding to ‘Product Info Column’ and ‘Block after Info Column’ respectfully.

Since I wanted all my products to have their product options in the ‘Product Info Column’, I could simply run the following SQL statement on the database.

UPDATE `catalog_product_entity_varcharSET `value`="category1" WHERE `value`="category2"

Magento Community
Magento Community

mffowler

Total Posts:  31

Thanks Frikki!

In v. 1.2.0.1, I see that this is changed from “category” to “container”, so the correct query would be:

UPDATE `catalog_product_entity_varchar` SET `value`="container1" WHERE `value`="container2"

This put the options in the right (literally!) spot. Also, I’d love to see that site that you had images from. Can you PM a link?

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

mffowler

Total Posts:  31

SisterT,

That’s correct and fine for a few products, but with hundreds or thousands or items to modify, direct SQL queries are relatively instant. This is one of two queries that I run all the time as descriptions move containers for various reasons. Another is to enable viewing of additional images based on positioning and of course price adjustments…

Love to see other people useful queries. Huge time savers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nhartman

Total Posts:  6

Just wanted to Confirm this still works for 1.7.0.2

UPDATE `catalog_product_entity_varchar` SET `value`=’container1’ WHERE `attribute_id` = 109 and `value` = ‘container2’

Thanks for the Help!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community