Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

search engines for magento

Harold van Grimbergen

Total Posts:  17

Hello,

We are using Magento for our web-shop and we are very pleased that all the necessary things are working well. We are using Magento for a year now, We are now in the process of making adjustments and changes. One issue we have is the search engine within Magento, It is functioning but we think that optimizing the search result can make our sells rise.

We want to implement a search engine based on the basics of google. I have search several sites now but I can’t find a good one.

Does anyone have experience using another search engine as the Magento included one. What is the best available?

With regards,
Harold van Grimbergen

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

wmcferr

Total Posts:  174

I think, if you are keeping Google basics in your mind, I can assure you it would compete on any other search engine available. However there are some basics which you should keep in mind. The first steps to optimizing Magento for search engines (making Magento SEO friendly) is to plan out your template use and your overall site design. The entire site must be search friendly, not just a list of specific aspects of Magento’s configuration. Sometimes the template has more to do with SEO success than any other factor.

If search engines do a perfect job, they read, understand, and index your entire site. When they do that, what they find is what is presented by your template. Why not prepare for the days when search engines are close to perfect? That is why Magento SEO starts with the template selection.

Magento Community
Magento Community

imwy2cool

Total Posts:  164

wmcferr - 16 November 2010 07:58 AM

I think, if you are keeping Google basics in your mind, I can assure you it would compete on any other search engine available. However there are some basics which you should keep in mind. The first steps to optimizing Magento for search engines (making Magento SEO friendly) is to plan out your template use and your overall site design. The entire site must be search friendly, not just a list of specific aspects of Magento’s configuration. Sometimes the template has more to do with SEO success than any other factor.

If search engines do a perfect job, they read, understand, and index your entire site. When they do that, what they find is what is presented by your template. Why not prepare for the days when search engines are close to perfect? That is why Magento SEO starts with the template selection.

Maybe if you would have actually read his post you would have realized it was NOT about getting found in Search Engines, but rather about Magento’s Built in Search Engine. I don’t mind people posting to get a signature link, but only if they post value and take time to actually help rather than spouting off a quick answer.

As for the queston, Magento does need a better search. It needs an auto suggest, and a “no results for x, did you mean this?” The best way I’ve found at this point is to continually add like terms through the backend of Magento and redirect bad results. Over time it’s become better and better. However, for a new store it’s one part of Magento that is lacking. To date, I haven’t found a good extension that fixes the default search. I’d be interested to hear if others have found a decent solution that’s easy to integrate.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community