Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Is it possible to change the product type after the product has been created ? 

Tomeksupa

Total Posts:  12

Hi,

Is it possible to change the product type after the product has been created?
The product type need to be changed on 269 products.

I tried exporting and changing the cells so it will look like a product type simple product (I need to change it to simple),
but after importing it is still the old product type.

So is it possible to change the product type, without creating the product again?
Which would be a lot of work with 269 products.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

You can change it in the database, but be careful.

ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE MODIFYING ANYTHING IN YOUR DATABASE!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

knarz

Total Posts:  43

Hi, what is the table in the db to change the product type? i just cant find it rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

xmivite
Guru

Total Posts:  355

with 285 tables . i guess its not going to be a picnic.. - u need to look for it , but i actually think someone created a mod for this .. either way you need to back-up your database first to be on the safe side.. if you cant find this - after look somemore pm me ..

Magento Community
Magento Community

knarz

Total Posts:  43

I found the Table. Its catalog_product_entity and its easy to change the type. Now i ran into the problem that i wanted to assign simple products to the grouped ones, but i did not find a way to do this programatically. Magento’s missing developer documentation is frustrating. Maybe i need to insert the data into catalog_product_relation or catalog_product_link.

EDIT: got it working with help of this code: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/vi/add_bookmark/12709/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason Millward

Total Posts:  59

Hi

Has anyone had any problems using this method?

I have changed the product type from simple to virtual in the database as mentioned above, but now none of the products are showing on the front or back ends!

I took a backup of the database but this got corrupted somehow so is useless - just my luck

We now have 350 products not showing and i\’m hoping we don\’t have to add them all again.

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

geissweb

Total Posts:  13

Jason Millward - 27 September 2011 11:33 PM

Hi

Has anyone had any problems using this method?

I have changed the product type from simple to virtual in the database as mentioned above, but now none of the products are showing on the front or back ends!

I took a backup of the database but this got corrupted somehow so is useless - just my luck

We now have 350 products not showing and i\’m hoping we don\’t have to add them all again.

Thanks

What you could try is to update some attributes, like status and the assigned websites after you changed the type in the database. Magento should handle the needed updates to the database for the changed type then. After that a reindex might help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason Millward

Total Posts:  59

Thanks for the help but that hasn’t done anything - there’s still nothing showing.

Its weird as all the products are there in the database but nothing is showing on the actual site.

I can add new products and they show fine but its teh existing products that don’t show

Something must have been changed in the database but i can’t figure out what

Magento Community
Magento Community

dixie

Total Posts:  2

This is how i changed downloadable to simple.

UPDATE catalog_product_entity
SET type_id="simple"
WHERE type_id = “downloadable”

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paul-xib

Total Posts:  116
The Netherlands

Jason Millward - 28 September 2011 12:39 AM

Thanks for the help but that hasn’t done anything - there’s still nothing showing.

Its weird as all the products are there in the database but nothing is showing on the actual site.

I can add new products and they show fine but its teh existing products that don’t show

Something must have been changed in the database but i can’t figure out what

Did you found a solution for this problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jodywatson

Total Posts:  11

Hi,

you might be interested in this module. It’s free and it works. Not all products can be converted to some other product type. I have not tested with all product types yet but simple to any other product type is possible to change. You can get the extension from here: http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/displaze-change-product-type-4207.html

Cheers.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community