Magento Forum

Not gzipping all JS

nadshez

Total Posts:  48

First of all, thanks for this EXCELLENT extension. By far made the best performance boost. I just have one problem though .. my 2 js (e.g. jquery-comp.js) & one other js file doesn’t seem to be gzipped, neither are they cached by speedster extension (since they’re the original path instead of coming from skin/m folder).

I also noticed that another js file even though is cached (it is inside skin/m folder), it is still not merged.

Can anyone shed light on why this is happening, esp. the first part where js are not being gzipped entirely. I have searched the web but cannot seem to figure out why that is happening.

Looking forward to a solution since this is really bothering me. Many thanks to you all.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

@nadshez the most likely explanation is that the js which is not included are not added the “Magento way”. My guess would be that they are directly loaded via one of your phtml files. The proper way would be to load them via a layout xml directive. Have a look at app/design/frontend/base/default/layout/page.xml as reference.

Speedster splits the url once it hits a certain length which could explain why not all files are in 1 file. It is the same length as the default Magento JS merger (480 characters)

Magento Community
Magento Community

nadshez

Total Posts:  48

You were right Fooman. The JS was being loaded else where .. and putting it aside the other js in page.xml resolved the problem.

Although is it possible to tweak the above situation? I have another css file which is created dynamically using [removed], so it doesn’t get merged or gzipped. Although just one small css so i’m not bothered much. smile

Thanks again for your great support & this excellent extension.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community