Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

What to do when server has complete outages

fishandfly

Total Posts:  20

Hey guys.  I upgraded to one of the recommended hosts on here thinking that getting a vps would be the way to run an awesome site, yet over the past few months there have been a couple times when the server has been completely down.  Today, it’s been down from 8 or 9am and will be out until this evening according to their estimations.  No cpanel, no email, no website, just complete outage. 

What do you do when this happens?  I thought I could at least get a “site maintenance” page up, but tech support said they have absolutely no access to the vps so there is nothing I can do.

Is there any way to handle this without losing all my customers for the day?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Did your provider let you know about the cause of the outage?

What is the specification of your VPS?

If it is a complete outage, eg. the whole VPS or node is down, it is not possible to put up a site maintenance page unless you look into some solutions like DNSMadeEasy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fishandfly

Hello.
I received no reason for the outage.  I think a tech guy mentioned a node but he didn’t go into detail.

I have no clue what kind of vps I’m on.  I know it’s not very fast.  A duplicate of my site is quite a bit faster on a developer server I set up at inmotion hosting ( $6 a month)

I will google dnsmadeeasy.  I seriously need something to prevent this again.

UPDATE.  They had me change ip addresses at godaddy.  Well the site came back up within an hour but my email is still shot.  Godaddy says that because I changed the a-record it will take 24 hours to come back.  That means all emails sent to me for a period of 40 hours will be returned to sender as though I do not exist. 

Can someone please tell me if this is stuff that is normal.  I have not had any other problems other than my site being slower than I’d like and a couple other outages but this one is horrible.  Is this just something that all hosts will have happen to them once in a while?

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Tampa, FL

Well outages may happen but it is how they deal with the problems, proactively solve it and provide updates that counts.

If your site is even faster on an oversold hosting provider than this VPS, something is obviously wrong with the VPS. It is either the VPS node being overloaded, the VPS specification is too low or your resource usage is too high for the VPS to handle.

Based on my experience I have seen many high-end shared hosting plans (some called it semi-dedicated plans) which can easily outperform a normal VPS so you may want to look into that direction if the cause of the slowness is due to the VPS node being overloaded or the VPS specification is too low. If your resource usage is too high for the VPS to handle, maybe it’s time for you to consider a Fully Managed Dedicated Server.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ebuntu

Total Posts:  245
Denver, CO

fishandfly - 10 November 2010 11:23 AM

What do you do when this happens?  I thought I could at least get a “site maintenance” page up, but tech support said they have absolutely no access to the vps so there is nothing I can do.

Is there any way to handle this without losing all my customers for the day?

It is probably time to find a new host. If you want rock solid vps or dedicated server, go to www.ServerTune.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

fishandfly

I spoke with a more advanced tech.  I learned a couple very valuable lessons today.

Apparently the node data center overflowed.  It scares the heck out of me thinking that these guys don’t have this kind of stuff down. 

I also learned that the level 1 techs had the ability to put up a temporary page while all the vps’s were down.  They said that they could not do that when the crap was hitting the fan.

Note to hosts out there.

1. Plan for the worst and hope for the best

2. Have checklists that your people follow.  When everything goes up in smoke the most important thing is that the people applying your companies effort can rely upon the pre-thought-out actions that an expert put together for dealing with the issue. 

3. Accommodate the customers need to not have a 404 come up on email and web for more than a day in whatever way necessary.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fishandfly

I forgot to add..

1. I realized that since google hosts my email, there is no need for my email to be redirected through my host.  It now goes directly from godaddy to google.  That would have saved me on the email end.

2. So the only method I’ve heard of is redirecting the traffic to a new page.  I will look at the simpledns info tonight. 

3. Next I need to find a way to be alerted to system failures so I know immediately instead of hours after.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Tampa, FL

What do they mean by the “node data center overflowed”? I suspect that it is either the main node (main server of your VPS) being overloaded or something is wrong on the DataCenter’s end.

As for an alert during system failure, you may want to use Pingdom, which is a very reputable uptime monitoring company and they do provide a free account which allows you to monitor one website:-
http://pingdom.com/#freemodal

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community