Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Importing Values for Dropdown Attribute

larrpan

Total Posts:  17

is there ANY way to import values for dropdown attribute? 
Is there a way to copy attributes?  I have a jewelry website by where the products have this structure:

Rings > Ring Type > Option of “Diamond, Gemstone, Metal”

Shoppers can choose 10 diamonds each with a set of attributes..

We want to be able to add a Ring Product and have the default attributes, and
attribute sets for Diomond, gemstone, and metal each filled with attributes..
once a group has been created in the attribute section, the attributes can’t be copied or shared in the groups…
that’s why i need to know if i can copy and paste attributes to save time. 

Thanks..

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

CirTap

Total Posts:  30

Hi,

> is there ANY way to import values for dropdown attribute?
not explicitely. Using csv imports will (afaik) add them as individual product options but not as “real” attributes with all their bells and whistles manageable as sets.
you may use a handcrafted SQL script to populate the EAV tables, which is somewhat tricky.

> Is there a way to copy attributes?
not within the admin GUI.

about the rest: no idea what exactl you want this to look like. Are they select list? Is each combination absolutely unique? Attributes per se cannot be “protected” from editing.
You have a sketch or image of how this is supposed to “look” like in the shop?

CirTap

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community