Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to learn web designing? 

darylnelson

Total Posts:  15

I am new here and would appreciate your suggestions on some topics. I have a site of my own, and plan to learn about web designing. Is it possible to learn online? I want to learn it to be able to do certain modifications on the website. But I am unable to choose the right course. Do I need any tuition for these? I would be glad to hear any ideas you have. I have been a regular visitor to this forum and have found it very useful in the past. I hope you have some helpful tips this time too.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Mailware

Total Posts:  41

There are many sources out there that will help get into web design, both paid and free. I recommend beginningwebdesign[dot]com, which charges a fee for purchase or 2createawebsite[dot]com which allows you to download a pdf file with mass amounts of information for free. Let me know if these work for you or if you have any other questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jodie079

Total Posts:  1

Are there books you can refer ?
I am also interested in learning web designing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

millerfrank

Total Posts:  6

2createawebsite
Is also my favourite. Lisa has very nice Youtube Videos and explains everything from bottom to top. The most rookie newbie can become a professional with her help.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

Flaxton

Total Posts:  137
Houston

Lynda.com

You will not regret spending money at this site. All of the tutorials/classes have been well worth the small amount of money i spent.

Keep in mind that Magento development is very far away from actual web-design. I have done web development for well over 10 years and Magento is a whole different beast.

If you are looking to be able to make changes to Magento, focus on these areas.

XML, CSS, HTML, PHP, Javascript

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mailware

Jodie I recommend looking into Steve Krug’s “Don’t Make me Think”, Bill Scott’s “Designing Web Interfaces: Principles and Patterns for Rich Interaction”, and Vincent Flander’s “Son of Web Pages That Suck: Learn Good Design by Looking at Bad Design”. Also, I would subscribe to blogs where you can receive more information and the ability to communicate with other online users in your position. A few blogs you might want to check out: http://looksgoodworkswell.blogspot.com/, http://www.webdesignerwall.com/, http://www.3point7designs.com/blog/. Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Balansonsimmp

Total Posts:  1
usa

You can look it up on the web you will find millions of tutorials all for free in which you will have to then find a technique that works for you. You can also find sample code to test.Personally the investment in an old fashion book, what am I saying an ebook you don’t need to read by the way the device will do it for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mailware

Web designing unfortunately has many dimensions to it Jodie.  Some books I would recommend would be books that focus on HTML, PHP, CSS, and Javascript.  But don’t limit yourself from there.  There is not one book where you will get all the information you need, but I came across this site where it lists 10 of the most useful books on web design.  It was posted in February this year and so I would assume that the books listed are not only useful, but up to date.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community