Magento Forum

Idiots guide to installing Magento on a local host wanted

jmbradwell

Total Posts:  2

Let me begin by saying I haven’t worked with Unix in 25 years and there is alot of dust on the brain cells.

I have successfully installed Fedora 13 64 bit, Apache, PHP, MySql I’ve successfully tested the install of these programs.

The major questions for now are:
1.  What should root be the directory Owner/Group owners of the web directory (currently set to root)?
2.  What should the permissions be for the directories.  The errors at the config screen is why I ask.  I did a recursive chmod to 777
and still get the error.
o Path “/var/www/html/app/etc” must be writable.
o Path “/var/www/html/var” must be writable.
o Path “/var/www/html/media” must be writable.

I apologise for the dumb Questions.

John.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

webkul

Total Posts:  159

hi i guess this will surely help : http://vipinkrsahu.blogspot.com/search/label/magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

jmbradwell

After another 12 hours of pulling my hair out trying to fix this problem, I found a solution.  Zen-Cart.  Installed and working in under 2 hours.
Only had a few minor problems with the install program, but overall it went smoothly.  Magento should consider writing an install program.

Magento Community
Magento Community

hugosnel

Total Posts:  39
Gard, France

Why did you install a full unix version?
Applications like WAMP will do the trick without going bald.
However i myself am trying to figure out how to ‘mirror’ an existing Magento shop locally.
A simple copy of the magento code will revert to the life site, even if i install a local localhost dbase and change the core_config tables to point to localhost.
I have tried a local fresh install but then i do not have all the template and extensions available.
I do agree, a guide to installing Magento on a local host would be very usefull!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

vpsdriama

Freelance

I was able to install Magento with XAMPP under Windows 7. Up past admin console.
I was quite impressed with the features. However I changed some settings and hit a “change” button. Since then I got a memory leak

Fatal errorAllowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 56 bytesin C:\XAMPP\htdocs\magento\lib\Varien\Simplexml\Element.php on line 195

I guess it’s coming from installation incompatibilites I bypassed.

One trick is to not install XAMPP (or anything) under Program Files. It avoids alot of file permission issue. Also for Unix you have to change the group owners not only CHMOD the files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jimshen

Total Posts:  5

I am having the same issue and questions that John had when installing Magento 1.6 on Fedora 16. Can anyone please help?

Thanks a million!

Jim

Magento Community
Magento Community

lawsann

I had the same problem in the same enviroment. Fedora 16, magento 1.6.

Im trying to fix it, but if someone has a tip for this, please give it.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lawsann

I have two news: one bad and one good.

The good one: I found the problem. Those folders really arent writable, for apache user, according to PHP function is_writable (called in the Install_Installer_Filesystem model). In my case (for desperation reasons), the permissions for those folders in operational system are set to 777 and the apache user is the owner.

The bad one: I could not discover (at the right moment) why exists that difference between the PHP function and the permissions that I see in ls -l command on the operational system. In the PHP is_writable function page there is a orientation saying to observe that the webserver user can be ‘nobody’. I dont know (yet) how to deal with that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mcalvo

Total Posts:  18

SELinux is the problem

Magento Community
Magento Community

JohnNorton1

Total Posts:  1

webkul - 31 October 2010 07:29 PM

hi i guess this will surely help : http://vipinkrsahu.blogspot.com/search/label/magento

Thanks a lot for the link

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community