Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

I am a newbie..the ‘manufacturer’ field is unusable…

rcalkins

Total Posts:  2

I am a newbie to magento...but I am trying to get it set-up. Why, when I add a new simple product , in ‘add a new product’ is the field labeled ‘MANUFACTURER’ not useable.  I use/need on each product added, the manufacturer. Both in-house and to appear in the store with each product I add… I have looked everywhere for info on this field, and all the books I have do not mention this field. The doc I have (Magento for beginners) and help on this page, talk about every other field, of which I do not have a problem with, BUT NOT THIS FIELD.
Any help would be appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

The manufacturer attribute is a drop-down selector.

You need to go into attribute management, pull up the Manufacturer attribute and add values to the list so the drop-down will be populated.

It’s done this way so you don’t end up with “tag spew”, that unenviable property of user produced tag clouds where you have a properly spelled manufacturer name surrounded by every possible misspelling and anyone trying to do a search on that attribute never gets a full search result because the one item they want to find is in one of the misspelled tag collections.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rcalkins

Total Posts:  2

I found it! It does make sense now that you have explained it. Thank you very much!!!  Still....don’t know why it is not mentioned in the docs...Well, anyway thanks......
Russ.....

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

You’re welcome. It’s now in the Wiki at least.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community