Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Root in the catalog

GregC

Total Posts:  76
A^2, MI

Hi all,

What purpose does the root entry (above the root catalog) serve in magento?  I have on several occasions accidentally put a category under root instead of root category (after all it’s the default wink ) Once it’s there, I spend all kinds of time trying to figure out why the category won’t show in the menu.  Then once I go duh and figure it out, I can’t move it to the proper place, I have to delete the errant category tree and recreate it.

Thanks for the info and the great system

Greg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

There were a couple of issues we were faced in making this decision some had to do with the layered navigation etc…

We think that with proper documentation (coming soon) this will be clear for a user.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

joanna

Total Posts:  16

Hi GregC,

this issue has been fixed and now you’ll be able to move your new category wherever you wish.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community