Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Port 80 and Port 443

OrderFlow

Total Posts:  3
United Kingdom

I’ve got Magento installed with the admin panels and secure areas served from port 80.

At first I used the secure settings when installing the software but on trying to access the admin pages I got an Apache redirect message.

Can anyone explain how the Magento 443 security is meant to work?

I’m running a Debian server so my virtual hosts are setup with secure and unsecure content being served from different directories (/home/domain/public_html and /home/domain/secure_html)

My Apache virtual server configuration filters any traffic for port 443 and redirects it to the secure_html directory.

If I select the default security settings during the Magento install I cannot understand how the secure content is ever going to be served correctly unless I create a symbolic link from the secure_html directory, but I can’t find any mention of this in the installation guides.

I assume I’ve misunderstood how the system is meant to work, any help greatly appreciated.

Charlie Armor

http://www.realtimedespatch.co.uk/magento/phpinfo.php

<IfModule mod_php5.c>

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off
    php_flag short_open_tag on
</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.php

RewriteEngine on

#RewriteBase /dev/magento/

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/media/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/skin/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/js/
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l

RewriteRule 
.* index.php

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Hi Charlie,

Could you please just make a symlink from /home/domain/public_html/magento to /home/domain/secure_html ?

Please let me know if it helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

OrderFlow

Total Posts:  3
United Kingdom

Michael

Creating the symlink works fine, it wasn’t mentioned in the install notes and seems like a bit of a workaround which is why I was unsure about using it.

For reference I went into the Debian directory /home/domain/secure_html and created the symlink:

ln -/home/realtime/public_html/magento magento

Then I went on to the admin screen SYSTEM / CONFIGURATION / WEB

and changed the secure protocol to https and the port to 443.

If you create the symlink before installing Magento I guess you could use the default settings from the install

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community