Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Import products from a csv

dweeves
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  877
FRANCE

ok , product import is a thing that is handled also by magmi, despite bolasevitch skepticism wink

just give it a try wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mikewevio

Total Posts:  1

Please do fallowing steps

1) Go to Admin > System > Import/export > Data Profiles > Export all products >Edit > Run profiles
2) Log in to FTP > Download File from Var/Export then you can find the file export_all_products.csv
3) Download to local
4) Update your data according to the columns in the csv file.
5) Before updating or importing file open the file in note pad then File > save as > export_all_products.csv select character set to UTF-8
OK
6) Now make sure you have all images in media/import/YOURFOLDER/ (same page you need to give in export image column like /YOURFOLDER/xxxx.jpg
7) Then Go to Admin > System > Import/export > Data Profiles >Import all products >Edit
8) Go to Upload file tab > Upload your file and SAVE AND CONTINUE
9) Go to run profile > select the file and Run Profile.

If you can\’t see the products please refresh your index.

Thanks
Mike
Wevio.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

thebookclubUK

Total Posts:  16

This thread has been really useful thanks

I have a simple question (hopefully!).

I have 1200 products and have re-uploaded my CSV lots of times with new products added on, and changes to exisitng products made.
Whatever I try in formatting through I can’t get multiple category ids to format properly when I download the file.
So whilst I upload 100,29,113,165,89 it will be in my exported CSV as 1102911316589

I can work around this, however my simple question is just whether I can import a new file with just a handful of NEW products with unique SKUs rather than having to do the full spreadsheet each time.

Is it correct that this will just bring in the new ones and leave anything else alone? Or do I have to re-import every product each time it imports in order to keep all of my products live?

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

thebookclubUK - 24 October 2011 07:34 AM

So whilst I upload 100,29,113,165,89 it will be in my exported CSV as 1102911316589

Using Excel or some other spreadsheet, eh? This is typical of having a column formatted for general number format. Right-click the head of the column so the whole category_id column is selected and choose Format Cells from the context menu. On the first tab, Number, choose category “Text” and it will leave the cell contents alone instead of trying to treat it as a number.

thebookclubUK - 24 October 2011 07:34 AM

I can work around this, however my simple question is just whether I can import a new file with just a handful of NEW products with unique SKUs rather than having to do the full spreadsheet each time.

Is it correct that this will just bring in the new ones and leave anything else alone? Or do I have to re-import every product each time it imports in order to keep all of my products live?

No, you don’t have to import the whole spreadsheet every time.... Existing items not referenced will not be changed. Imports can be either update or new items.

Changes to particular fields only requires these first three (“sku”,"store”,"type”) plus the other fields you’re changing and only the skus you need to change.

On importing new product, you only need the full line of column items for each new item you import…

To preserve your sanity, DO NOT GET IN THE HABIT OF REIMPORTING CATEGORY_ID on your update imports. Only do it on the initial new product. You can cause a world of grief when you suck one of these in and it overwrites your existing category_id with unintended content.

Import either using the Import All Products profile.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ehmgrace

Total Posts:  4

hi,
im having a hard time to configure this error Skip import row, is not valid value “” for field “type”,
though in your thread some did say that just add the type field in the csv file, however how about Im about to import data
via ftp so basically I have no control on the csv because of the ftp Im connecting is our client, is their a way I can manipulate the “type”
nor disabled it? thank you very much.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

@ehmgrace

Change Imports for already existing product, at a bare minimum must contain these columns “sku”,"store”,"type” and the file must be exported from the program that is used to produce it as UTF-8 encoded. It helps significantly if the first row is the actual column headings spelled and cased exactly as they appear when you run an Export All Products profile export in your particular version of Magento.

New Product Imports for product not in Magento need quite a few more fields than the basic three to fill in required fields and visibility/status. This post hits most of the current important must haves.

What control over the CSV? If you create the CSV in a program that’s able to export it UTF-8 encoded, then FTP would view it as just a file. If your client is producing it and you’re FTPing it, you have full control over it as you can finish editing it for proper content before uploading it. You could even ftp pull the customer uploaded and mangled piece-o-work out of the import folder for cudgeling into proper form to reimport it.

So, the major questions.

What version of Magento?
Are these CSV imports supposed to create new product, or change pricing, descriptions, etc on already existing product?
Do you have a sample of the first six lines of one of these CSV files that’s giving you a problem?
Do you have a sample of the first six lines of an Export All Products CSV export?

Answering these questions would probably go a lot further towards fixing the problem as the paragraph asked is rather nebulous.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ehmgrace

my magento version is magento-1.6.2.0

Are these CSV imports supposed to create new product, or change pricing, descriptions, etc on already existing product?
these CSV imports updates the existing product and also create new product.

Do you have a sample of the first six lines of one of these CSV files that’s giving you a problem?
these are the first six lines of import_data.
Stock Number UPC Code Product Description Department Number Manufacturer Id Retail Price

Do you have a sample of the first six lines of an Export All Products CSV export?
these are the first six lines of Export_all csv data.
store
websites
attribute_set
type
category_ids sku

thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

I need a little better information than that to even begin. If this is what you’re working with, it’s neither CSV (comma separated values) nor enough to create new product, let alone even update existing product. Here’s a sample of the fields needed to create a new product. In this example, there are attributes not in a stock Magento installation, but they need to be there if you intend on prefilling your own custom attributes.

"store","websites","attribute_set","type","category_ids","sku","has_options","manufacturer","color","status","tax_class_id","visibility","enable_googlecheckout","home_page_featured","hazmat","in_stock_indicator","out_stock_indicator","is_recurring","special_shipping_group","replace_add_button","is_html","price","special_price","cost","weight","mapprice","shipping_price","name","meta_title","meta_description","image","small_image","thumbnail","url_key","url_path","custom_design","options_container","gift_message_available","page_layout","featured_display_name","featured_order","brand","mapsaletag","featured_price","restock_date","description","short_description","meta_keyword","custom_layout_update","featured_marketing","specs","video","special_from_date","special_to_date","news_from_date","news_to_date","custom_design_from","custom_design_to","qty","min_qty","use_config_min_qty","is_qty_decimal","backorders","use_config_backorders","min_sale_qty","use_config_min_sale_qty","max_sale_qty","use_config_max_sale_qty","is_in_stock","low_stock_date","notify_stock_qty","use_config_notify_stock_qty","manage_stock","use_config_manage_stock","stock_status_changed_automatically","use_config_qty_increments","qty_increments","use_config_enable_qty_increments","enable_qty_increments","product_name","store_id","product_type_id","product_status_changed","product_changed_websites","ship_truck_inspection","image_label","small_image_label","thumbnail_label","ship_flat_rate_front","ship_flat_rate_cart"
"admin"
,"base","Default","simple","","test-product-01","0","test-product","","Disabled","Taxable Goods","Catalog, Search","No","0","","Blank","Out of Stock","No","STD-RCM","","0","1.0000","","","0.0100","","","Magento Test Item 01","test-product - test-product-01 - Test Item 01 Basic Attributes","test-product-01, Test Item 01 Basic Attributes, test-product","","","","test-product-01","test-product-01.html","","Block after Info Column","Use config","No layout updates.","","","test-product","","","","Test Item 01 for a simple product with basic attributes using NL2BR Description","Test Item 01 for a simple product with basic attributes","test-product-01, Test Item 01 Basic Attributes, , test-product","","","<p>Minimal Specs</p>","","","","","","","","1.0000","0.0000","1","0","0","1","1.0000","1","0.0000","1","1","","0.0000","1","0","1","0","1","0.0000","1","0","Magento Test Item 01","0","simple","","","0","","","","",""
"admin"
,"base","Default","simple","","test-product-02","0","test-product","","Disabled","Taxable Goods","Catalog, Search","No","0","","Blank","Out of Stock","No","STD-AIR","","1","1.0000","","","0.0100","","","Magento Test Item 02","test-product - test-product-02 - Test Item 02 Basic Attributes","test-product-02, Test Item 02 Basic Attributes, test-product","","","","test-product-02","test-product-02.html","","Block after Info Column","Use config","No layout updates.","","","test-product","","","","<p>Test Item 02 for a simple product with basic attributes using HTML Description</p>","Test Item 02 for a simple product with basic attributes","test-product-02, Test Item 02 Basic Attributes, , test-product","","","<p>Minimal Specs</p>","","","","","","","","1.0000","0.0000","1","0","0","1","1.0000","1","0.0000","1","1","","0.0000","1","0","1","0","1","0.0000","1","0","Magento Test Item 02","0","simple","","","0","","","","",""

Magento Community
Magento Community

ehmgrace

these are the csv file to be imported

Stock Number;UPC Code;Product Description;Department Number;Manufacturer Id;Retail Price; Regular Price;Product Weight; Inventory Quantity Model;Full Manufacturer Name;Manufacturer Part Number;Allocated/Closeout/Deleted;Expanded Product Description;Image name
12; 844; product sample; 14; 12; 64.99; 43; 11; 13; sample product; sample magento;1284;product sample;12-23_1.jpg

--->

thank you

Magento Community
Magento Community

iamdave

Total Posts:  102

Thanks for that template. I couldn’t get my items to export as it seems the file may be to large. I have about 7k items.
So I pasted your example into an txt file, opened it in an excel file, and added one item but get an error each time. I figure if I can get 1 test item to import then I’ll work on getting the rest up later once I get the format down.

Not sure what to put in the “store” column. I’ve tried: DC Music Store, Main Website Store, (as those are name in the manage stores section) Default, but nothing is working. I get an error:

Warning: include(Mage/ImportExport/Model/Import/Adapter/Txt.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/maxxsoun/domains/dcmusicstore.com/public_html/lib/Varien/Autoload.php on line 93

No idea what line 93 is or what the store name should be.

Any idea?

Dave

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Magento comes with it’s own answers on these. Go into the ”Export All Products” profile, select a range of several items that fit what you’re trying to import and export them. Make sure the ”Original Magento attribute names in first row:” dropdown is set to Yes.

99% of the time you’ll be given the values that Magento works with for its attributes. If you don’t have items in product maintenance, enter one, fill out all the pertinent tabs, export it and you should have the answer. I can’t give you the answer because it depends on what you’ve input up to this point.

The other 1% of the time is when you’re dealing with dropdown items. When you have a dropdown field in Magento, you must populate the items in the dropdown in Magento’s Attribute Maintenance. Then when you do the import, the item in the field must match exactly to one of the items in the dropdown list, or the import field will be ignored. It must be this way because a dropdown exists to firmly enforce the contents in that attribute.

Keep an eye out on the column headings. Newer versions of Magento have a freakish feature where they append an underscore to the beginning of the column name. If you import with the underscore, the import won’t work because Magento can’t match the column heading. Magento’s always had these little inconsistencies.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

example into an txt file

Also, on that error you’re getting, is the import file named something like importfile.csv or importfile.txt? CSV files must end in .csv for Magento to import them.

And on top of this, I take it you’re trying to import into something later than 1.4.x.x? All this advice only works on import/export profiles.

Magento Community
Magento Community

davindersangha1

Total Posts:  15

I’m having a bit of a problem in importing CSV.

It does seem to import everything correctly (apart from sizing, colours, but I’m working on that). But it doesn’t show any products live. Once I go into a produce and may be change a little bit of text, it pops up live.

**** I seem to have found the problem. If I go into a product and add a little bit of text to the description, etc. it seems to “wake” it up live. Is there any way around this bug?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nossa_lossa

Total Posts:  14

Helo) As for me, when I tried Magento import at first, I was not very satisfied. The issue is that I import my products and Magento tells me that the SKU field is missing.
Then I decided to export data to a CSV from Magento and import it without editin. And what a surprise, when I see that this file is also not appropriate. Very nice! =)) wooo)
There was no other variant except using import tool. I found an online import extension. It is very simple to use and what I appreciate it have not to be installed.
Very effective. I can recommend. grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

lovey1

Total Posts:  6

hi

actually i am trying to update my preexisting products.

i need to add custom options to my preexisting products.  i am uploading csv file having sku and all the custom attributes to magento..

i have uploaded many products using this but now it’s giving error. 

whenever i try to update products using csv file having sku options and custom attributes error arises saying. 

product type is invalid in rows:  1 and orphan rows....

when i export the csv i found that the all products which i try to update all have predefined type and also other attributes set then why is it asking to define product type??

plz help..

thnx in advance....

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community