Import products from a csv

Brady Barrows

Total Posts:  29

SisterTwisted - 30 January 2009 04:42 AM

Why do people make this so complicated?

Do this:

1) Create a new product.

2) Export that product.

3) Open that file and you now have a template to import.

4) Copy and paste all the data from your suppliers CSV file into the appropriate columns. No mapping required if you do it this way as the column names will be correct in the beginning.

5) Enjoy.

Note: This will not do anything for categories. All I personally do is edit each product and put it its proper category. It takes time but that way I know it’s exactly where I want it to be.

I followed these steps you suggested above and still got the error message:

* Starting Mage_Dataflow_Model_Convert_Parser_Csv :: parse
* Found 1 rows
* Starting catalog/convert_adapter_product :: parse
* Skip import row, is not valid value “” for field “type”
* Processed 100% 1/1 records
* Imported 0 records
* Finished profile execution.

There is obviously something else not right.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady Barrows

Total Posts:  29

itchytrig - 27 May 2009 02:07 AM

Oh and one little Gripe for Varien: Downloaded the user manual / Guide for $20 and it does not cover ANY of this area in the publication at all? It is more of a Pre-Sales overview guide than anything, yes it does help in a number of cases, but to be honest it still leaves us with more questions, than answers as to the actual use of Magento as a whole? Would be good to see this updated soon.

Ditto on that one. There is more info in the forum and knowledge base than in the manual. Save the $20.  If they included what you really need for Magento the manual would cost $200.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bolasevich

Total Posts:  235
Newington, CT USA

possibly another option -> http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1894

Magento Community
Magento Community

partscash

Total Posts:  38
Indiana

After hours of searching I can not find what value should be put under “product_status_changed” in my upload sheet.  I did create an item then export and have built my import sheet off that.  The column is blank, if I want to make a single change do I put a 1 or something in the column to update?  If the information is out there I sure can’t find it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

thugsb

Total Posts:  50
UK

bolasevich is selling other people’s code. Instead of paying him, go to this thread and get the code for free. The thread is long, but just jump to page 19 onwards and find a recent version of Productimport.php. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fullcolor

Total Posts:  5

Hello,

Can somebody help me please?
I am trying to import some customers in my magento database, but i cannot find the solution for this problem±

I have typed this in my CSV

“ID”,""Naam"”,""E-mail"”,""Groep"”,""Telefoon"”,""Postcode"”,""Land"”,""Provincie"",""Klant sinds"”,""Website"""
“1",""jack bastiaansen"”,""jackbastiaansen@mail.nl"”,""General"”,""06-16449905"",""4823 HS “”,""Nederland"”,""NB"",""20 jun 2009 08:34:59"”,""Roldisplays.nl"""

I have added some pics of my fields in magento so that u can see what is going wrong.
I also get an error message, it says that i have not defined the field website but i did!  (added a screen of it)

Please people help me!

Image Attachments
klantegegevens.JPGfoutmelding.JPG

Magento Community
Magento Community

Hacktor

Total Posts:  4

make sure that the value you enter for website is a known code for a website in your magento installation. i.e.
Go to System.Manage Shops (for NL Systeem.Beheer Winkels)
Select here the sitename for the site you want to import your products for.
Check the value entered in the code field for the website
(For my installation, the default value for the Code field is ‘base’,)
enter this value in your csv,
hope this helps,
cheers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tdubz87

Total Posts:  3

Hey all,

I successfully got 106 products (all new products) to import on our test site of magento.

What I did was kept all of the headers from the standard Export magento gives you and filled in only the required fields.

You can find the required fields by Logging into your magento store, adding a new product, and simply find the fields marked with an “* “ asterisk.

All of the products I imported were simple non-grouped products.

Attached is a file that you should be able to use to succesfully import.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tdubz87

Cannot seem to add the attachment! Lame....

Well anyways just enter in the required fields only and you should be fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bolasevich

Total Posts:  235
Newington, CT USA

"RE: bolasevich is selling other people’s code. Instead of paying him, go to this thread and get the code for free. The thread is long, but just jump to page 19 onwards and find a recent version of Productimport.php”

I dont understand how my code is someone elses code if im the one who wrote it. Especially since the code you recommended doesnt do 1/2 of the features mine does. That one doesnt do bundle products. It doesnt do tier pricing / super attribute pricing / custom options / gallery images just to name a few things. My script also doesnt have the numerous bugs mentioned in this form that are problems with the script your recommended but mine doesnt have those problems and ive tested my script on 1.2.x and 1.3.x as well as the lastest beta copy which im pretty sure cant be said for your recommendation and on top of that ive create my own documentation and PDF as well as instructions / sample csv’s so PLEASE stop posting lies about the quality of my code and even thou you seem to have nothing good to say about code you’ve never seen these people said the exact opposite http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/55081/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Landone

Total Posts:  1

Note that this will most likely destroy all connections between e.g. products and order history and thus mess up order statistics and such.

Regards

Landone

_____
Surendettement

Magento Community
Magento Community

digitalcomputernetwork

Total Posts:  11

Importing products from a csv does not good if they are not being put in an active category.  Does anyone know how to import categories and products together?

Magento Community
Magento Community

psgautam

Total Posts:  10

Hello All

I am in trouble. I am trying to import products from csv. This csv i have created though exporting products from database first.  When I am importing then the price and custom_design field data in not inserting in the database. I am looking for this solution.

Please any one provide me the guidlines how i will solve this issue when iporting the products.

Thanks
pardeep

Magento Community
Magento Community

akaro

It is possible that the fields ar not in the correct order in the import file. I have had similar problems with other fields until in noticed that the order of the fields in th eimprot file must be correct. To find out he correct order just insert a product manually and export the products. The export file then shows the correct order, you can omit fields you do not want to import.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fashionretailer

Total Posts:  13

I had no trouble importing some products. I discovered by making a test product and filling it in the way I would my products and exporting it, I found what Mage wanted from me to successfully import my products. I did it in excel CSV file as it wants, i didn’t have to change programs or anything special to make it work.  I’ll list them in the order that I have them in just in case the is important to importing them:
sku (this is the sku that you want for your products)
_store (this is where I put in which store - I only have one but you may not)
_attribute_set (this is be the attribue set that you made for your product - you could choose “default")
_type (simple)
_category (this is the catagory you want your product under)
_product_websites (base)
description (put in your full description here)
is_imported (yes)
manufacturer (the manufactor)
meta_keyword (I put in the tags aka keywords for seo here)
meta_title (the title i want for seo here)
name (the name aka title you want your product to have)
price (the price of your product - not the cost but you can have a cost section if you want)
required_options (0)
short_description (put your short description here)
status (1)
tax_class_id (4 - if your product is a taxable good)
url_key (the url key you want your product to have)
url_path (I repeated the url key and put the same here)
visibility (4 - if you want your product to be visible)
weight (enter a weight here if you do not know, then just put in 1)

I hope this helps everyone! smile I’m sure there is more you can add and if you want to go into more details then I suggest trying to do that test product I suggested and export it for all the options you can use to import. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 4