Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Speedster css issues? 

husseycoding

Total Posts:  30
UK

Hi there,

I am currently in the final stages of development of a 1.4.1 community edition site and would like to use the speedster plugin as an optimisation tool, however it seems to be causing issues in certain browsers.  With the plugin installed, the main navigation menu bar does not show at all, but only in Chrome, Safari and IE - FF is fine.  To test this a bit further I removed the plugin, made sure the site was operating normally and then enabled the built in merge css and merge js options from the backend.  With just js merged everything looks fine, but adding in css as well causes the same issues as the plugin with the menu disappearing.

A complication could be that also installed is raptors supermenu pro, is this likely to be causing issues?

Any pointers appreciated!

Thanks

Jon

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi Jon,

I can’t comment on your specific site but the way I would go about troubleshooting this is

establish that this issue is related to css / javascript or both (done)
use FF and firebug to test what CSS rules apply normally and when using merged css, pay special attention to the order your rules get applied
since this seems to only affect some browsers - do you use any css hacks for targetting different platforms?
compare the merged css rules with the standard rules - do important parts get removed?
do your css files use @import rules? if yes rewrite those to be included directly
do your css files use encoding settings? if yes remove them so that the resulting merged css only has 1 at the top

good luck and let us know if you make any progress.

Magento Community
Magento Community

akhtar

Total Posts:  4

Hi All,

I have installed fooman speedstar extension on my magento 1.4.0.1 version. it works well but after installing this extension, magento_easy_lightbox and Raptor_ExplodedMenu extensions stop working.

Please guide me about the issue. I tried many ways but couldn\’t find the solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FOOMAN
Guru

Total Posts:  669
Auckland, New Zealand

@akhtar please share what you have tried so far. How does it affect magento_easy_lightbox and Raptor_ExplodedMenu? Can you test if you only have one of the two installed if you are still seeing problems.

Magento Community
Magento Community

husseycoding

UK

Hi Fooman,

Thanks for the reply, I will look into the things you have listed above and get back to you.  It’s very possible that one or more of the issues you have outlined here are apparent in the site as quite a few different plugins are installed.

Thanks

Jon

Magento Community
Magento Community

husseycoding

UK

Hi Fooman,

Finally, I have some time to again revisit this issue....

So to answer some of your questions - I do not believe there are any hacks to target particular browsers no, but generally I find chrome to be less forgiving with course code than ff so maybe it’s just down to browser differences here?
Comparing the lines of code - this is not going to be a quick thing as there are at least 2000 lines of css here, however I have yet to analyse the css that relates specifically to the items that are not rendering correctly, the answer may become clearer when I do this.
@import rules - none of these are in use that I have found so far
encoding settings - I found one instance of this which I have removed but this alone has now resolved the issues.

Interestingly the w3 css validator does report errors in the merged css file, but the sections it reports as being problematic are also apparent in the same form in the non merged source css, as such this may be a red herring with respect to tracking down what the issue is here.

I will be looking into this more over the next few days so I will post back with any more findings

Magento Community
Magento Community

husseycoding

UK

Hi Fooman,

I put above ‘but this alone has now resolved the issues’ which was actually a typo, I meant to put this has ‘not’ resolved the issues.

In fact, upon further testing it looks like my typo was actually correct!  My previous test with the encoding settings removed was only a brief one as I had minimal time, but now revisiting it after flushing the css cache, all seems good, so I can only put the previous failed test down to minified css files still being loaded even though I was working with cache disabled.

Thanks for the pointers and I think this issue can be considered solved now.

Cheers

Jon

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community